Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exhaust always on in bathroom

Options
  • 06-08-2018 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi.
    Is an exhaust supposed to be on in the bath room all the time ?
    Recently moved to an apartment and exhaust is on whenever Bath room light turns on and then doesn’t turn off.
    Is there supposed to be a timer? I can turn it off separately with a switch above the door but should it not go off automatically!
    See it’s pic please.
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It is supposed to go off on its own after awhile. There's most likely an internal timer that failed. As you can turn it off by the isolation switch most likely your landlord won't want to go to the expense of replacing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Nicknamed wrote: »
    Is there supposed to be a timer? I can turn it off separately with a switch above the door but should it not go off automatically!

I wouldn't expect a separate switch and a timer, it should be one or the other. The fact that the fan has it's own switch suggests that there is no timer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

If you remove the front cover you will find a dial to set timing value.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

coylemj wrote:
    I wouldn't expect a separate switch and a timer, it should be one or the other. The fact that the fan has it's own switch suggests that there is no timer.

The timer seems to have failed. Op is using the isolation switch instead of the timer function. Generally the isolation switch isn't considered the correct method to turn the fan one & off.

You would normally have the fan coming on the & off with the light switch or the timer.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Nicknamed

stevek93 wrote: »
    If you remove the front cover you will find a dial to set timing value.

Thanks this tip worked.

• Advertisement

Issue with the other bathroom exhaust:

Ideal would be that exhaust button always on and the light switch when on turns on the exhaust fan and then exhaust should stay on for 10-15 minutes after turning the light off.
    This is what happens:

1. Fan Turns on after a while after turning on the light.
    2. Sometimes fan wouldn’t turn on for more than an hour and would sometimes turn on at random time.
    3. Once it’s on it would keep running for hours and even days even after turning off the light.
    4. I have attached pics of the connections.
    5. I have turned the timer dial to make it less sensitive but didn’t work.

Any suggestions if something needs replacment or cleaning ?

See the pics attached.

Nicknamed wrote: »
    Issue with the other bathroom exhaust:

Ideal would be that exhaust button always on and the light switch when on turns on the exhaust fan and then exhaust should stay on for 10-15 minutes after turning the light off.
    This is what happens:

1. Fan Turns on after a while after turning on the light.
    2. Sometimes fan wouldn’t turn on for more than an hour and would sometimes turn on at random time.
    3. Once it’s on it would keep running for hours and even days even after turning off the light.
    4. I have attached pics of the connections.
    5. I have turned the timer dial to make it less sensitive but didn’t work.

Any suggestions if something needs replacment or cleaning ?

See the pics attached.

Also a close up pic of timer. Should I change anything on the timer ?

Advertisement