Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trans Siberian

• 06-08-2018 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Anyone done the trip lately?

I am looking to do the full run to Vladivostok and get the ferry from there to South Korea and then fly home from there.

I am not that interested in going to Mongolia or China as you can't buy the tickets online and the feckers that sell them quadruple the prices that locals pay. At least with the Vladivostok route you can book online and pay Russian prices.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Haven't done it, but there should good advice on https://www.seat61.com

• Registered Users Posts: 16 daz23

Hi Under His Eye,

I did part of this trip last year Moscow to Ulaanbaatar and then Ulaanbaatar to Beijing.

It's a great trip although I'd recommending stopping more often and spend a few days in local stops as cabin fever can really set in when you are in your cabin for more than a couple of days.

The train we got to Ulaanbaatar was a Mongolian train but had a Russian food cart on it for out trip as far as the Russian Mongoilan border where they switched to a Mongoilan food cart.

The Russian food cart wasn't the most hygienic and the hospitality was typical Russian in nature food was ok though we normally just went for an omelette in the morning as we regularly seen them leave the meat out of the freezer sitting on the floor and then been put back in the freezer some time later.

Mongolian food cart was more modern and had more variety of options.

I'd strongly recommend stopping in Mongolia and doing a tour, it is a stunning country we we were shocked with the scenery and landscapes, it turned out to be one of our favorite stops when we traveled.

I'd also recommend a stop in Beijing even just for a trip to the great wall and get an idea at just how massive a country it is.

If you are going straight from Russian border to Vladivostok you'll find yourself looking out at birch trees after a few days when the cabin fever sets in wishing you could get out for more than just the 20 min stops at the train stations.

Advertisement