Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build- Advice appreciated re wiring

Options
  • 04-08-2018 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi All,

My wife and I are currently building a new house and will be meeting the electrician in next few weeks. I am looking for any advice with regards broadband and wiring etc as I would not be too techie. I have looked online at different posts etc but I said here could be my best bet.

We have ducon slabs in our home which I have heard can block a wifi signal from going upstairs- any thoughts on this or experience would be great.

As regards TVs we hope to have 2 tvs to start off with (1 in open plan and 1 in blocked off sitting room area) and have tv points in bedrooms but hope to not use these really but good to have the option. Just wondering what people recommend to wire to these. Our 2 tvs in living rooms will be wall mounted and we want to have no wires showing.

We will have a sky box but are unsure at the moment where this will go as tv will be wall mounted over an open chimney breast. I have seen a sky box kept in another central room and a magic eye used to change channel which hides the sky box from view.

We are currently looking into alarms and doorbells so are thinking of wiring every window and door downstairs for these. We hope in the future to have electric gates so will get wire out to a point in the front for futre use.
    Just wondering if anyone has any advice on wiring for an electric car in the future. Our engineer said this may be a good idea.

Any other info or advice would be really welcome

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Rufus50 wrote: »
    As regards TVs we hope to have 2 tvs to start off with (1 in open plan and 1 in blocked off sitting room area) and have tv points in bedrooms but hope to not use these really but good to have the option. Just wondering what people recommend to wire to these. Our 2 tvs in living rooms will be wall mounted and we want to have no wires showing.

We will have a sky box but are unsure at the moment where this will go as tv will be wall mounted over an open chimney breast. I have seen a sky box kept in another central room and a magic eye used to change channel which hides the sky box from view.

Regarding Sky, magic eyes are now old tech for previous generation receivers, they now only provide the new SkyQ receivers for new subscribers. These require 2 cables from the satellite dish or 1 cable via a dSCR multiswitch. Multiroom viewing is now done wirelessly up to 2 remote mini-boxes and 2 tablets simultaneously.

An option might be HDMI over Ethernet, Sky box remotely located with video/audio/remote control sent over ethernet. I assume you'll be running Cat5e/Cat6 cables to all the TV points.

Regarding co-ax cabling I would run a min of 3 cables to the main TV points and 2 to bedrooms etc., future proofing for Saorview, non-SkyQ satellite feeds. You may not need them now but it's better to be looking at them than looking for them if required in future, they can be hidden behind the wall mounted TVs. Run all co-ax back to a central location in the attic etc. with a power-point nearby.

Advertisement