Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router for Eir FTTH 1000mb (1gig) connection

Options
  • 03-08-2018 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I've had a look in the search and didn't find an exact match, so I was wondering:

- for an Eir FTTH 1gig connection, what is a good router that'll handle that throughput?

Thinking of the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X, as it seems to have good reviews, and once hardware offload is enabled it seems to handle the throughput ok...

But open to other suggestions, not really too interested in wifi features on other models as the house is 95%+ wired connections into a pair of 24 port gig switches.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

JasonRyan wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I've had a look in the search and didn't find an exact match, so I was wondering:

- for an Eir FTTH 1gig connection, what is a good router that'll handle that throughput?

Thinking of the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X, as it seems to have good reviews, and once hardware offload is enabled it seems to handle the throughput ok...

But open to other suggestions, not really too interested in wifi features on other models as the house is 95%+ wired connections into a pair of 24 port gig switches.

The F2000 that eir supply seems to handle the 1Gb service without issue. WiFi on it seems to be what people have issue with although I am not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

JasonRyan wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I have the Edgerouter X and it's a really nice piece of kit for the price. Loads of configuration options if you're thinking of doing more advanced setup in the future. Would highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Buying a crazy expensive router is overkill. You don’t need big processing power unless you want to host a website in your home.

I am using a Linksys E4200v2 and I get crazy speeds. Only a tiny loss over my cat 5e in the house. For details, see my blog post about this:

http://finbarrbrady.com/2017-07-13-replace-eir-f2000/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

This one would be my choice. I'm a big Mikrotik fan myself. Ubiquiti are great for wireless but their wired products are only average. Be prepared for a big learning curve, but it's worth it for all the enterprise options it gives.

https://www.ip-sa.com.pl/mikrotik/RB3011UiAS-RM
    https://mikrotik.com/product/RB3011UiAS-RM

What kind of enterprise options would you use (out of interest)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

fbradyirl wrote: »
    What kind of enterprise options would you use (out of interest)?

Bandwidth shaping and priority queues, dual wan with failover, VPN server, options are endless, it's completely a blank canvas.

I'm using Mikrotik Capsman to centrally control a few Mikrotik wAP access points. I also have a few VLANs to keep guests and IOT devices away from my main LAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

There is practically nothing in networking you can't do with Mikrotik and they are very very reliable.

I've seen hundreds of them in service and you never have a situation where they need a reboot for any reason. They just flat out don't lock up.

Yep sounds good. I could say the same for OpenWrt. I’m running an OpenVPN server, ddns, geo IP blocking using sub2rbl and much more. Had it running for over 200 days without the need to reboot. And only did so to do an update.

Advertisement