Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceiling Help

Options
  • 03-08-2018 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi, Im just wondering if anyone would be able to give me a solution to the ceiling issues I have. I had a tradesman in knocking out a window for me to out in french doors and skim over ceilings for me. He said the ceilings would be difficult to skim as when the house was built they had never been skimmed but just painted straight onto (celtic tiger era house). He skimmed hall ceiling but it just came srtaight down mostly. What are my options? I have a hall ceiling and kitchen ceiling with same issue. Thankfully kitchen ceiling hasnt had any skimming done yet. pictures attached, any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

reslab
    In passing, light fitting and wire in pic 2 seem very dirty, ceiling would have been the same?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 donaleire

No the ceiling had been painted when I bought the house but had peeled since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Thistlebond the existing ceilings then skim. ( I'll lay a pound to a penny the tradesman wasn't a plasterer )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

dok_golf wrote: »
    Thistlebond the existing ceilings then skim. I'll lay a pound to a penny the tradesman wasn't a plasterer )

+ 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

If the lad did the celing in pic 4 as a finished job I would worry about the work on the French doors and how water tight they are etc. that's a dire attempt at plaster work and tbh the closed window/door plaster is not looking great either.

The celing in pic 3 looks black indicating a mold growth if so I would be checking for damp and a leak comming from somewhere or water ingress traveling in from outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If the lad did the celing in pic 4 as a finished job I would worry about the work on the French doors and how water tight they are etc. that's a dire attempt at plaster work and tbh the closed window/door plaster is not looking great either.

The celing in pic 3 looks black indicating a mold growth if so I would be checking for damp and a leak comming from somewhere or water ingress traveling in from outside.
    +1

or maybe just no/poorly fitted insulation in the ceiling, with poor ventilation, giving rise to loads condensation.

Looks like the painting was done to cover the crap before sale

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 donaleire

Thanks for the help, the mould on ceiling relates to a leak which had been in bathroom above but which was sorted last year when I bought the house. Im looking for an alternative plasterer now at the moment. The fact the ceiling was never skimmed before shouldnt matter so? It was just paint on top of plsater board.

Advertisement