Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB 110KV subtation next to apartment safe?

Options
  • 03-08-2018 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi, as the title says I would like to know if its safe to live next to a ESB Power Substation of 110KV.

Street view: https://goo.gl/maps/ivWvsB6ReEq

Its almost 5-6 floors high and seems like a big substation supplying electricity to most of the inner Dublin city.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes, it’s safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Hi, as the title says I would like to know if its safe to live next to a ESB Power Substation of 110KV.

They would never have gotten the planning if it wasn't safe

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭rajatparihar

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    They would never have gotten the planning if it wasn't safe

Yea actually I read many online forums saying about the hazards caused by Electric and Magnetic fields produced but no theory can prove that. :confused::confused::(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yea actually I read many online forums saying about the hazards caused by Electric and Magnetic fields produced but no theory can prove that. :confused::confused::(

It’s bullsh!t from flat earthers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

If your worried about all the bare wires and electricity buzzing around the place then don’t. It is one of the more modern stations with metalclad enclosed switchgear. There is absolutely nothing exposed in these stations so none of the harmful electricity your worried about can escape lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

What's your favourite humming noise ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Yea actually I read many online forums saying about the hazards caused by Electric and Magnetic fields produced but no theory can prove that.

I remember the water meter protesters trying to explain how dangerous the radiation is from the meter. The same protesters all had cell phones up to their heads emitting much greater levels of radiation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,441 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

It's just the North Quays station. Not exactly a major station in the big scheme of things. As others have said, it's a small, modern and safe station that uses the latest gas insulated switchgear technology to minimise size. Instead of massive busbars to connect the lines and transformers together it uses a form of compact plumbing in metal housing. Possibly the most interesting thing about the station is that it is occasionally switched to allow power flows across the Liffey for a few minutes to Ringsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I lived behind that a few years ago. You should be more concerned about flooding occurring there than anything else!

It's just the North Quays station. Not exactly a major station in the big scheme of things. As others have said, it's a small, modern and safe station that uses the latest gas insulated switchgear technology to minimise size. Instead of massive busbars to connect the lines and transformers together it uses a form of compact plumbing in metal housing. Possibly the most interesting thing about the station is that it is occasionally switched to allow power flows across the Liffey for a few minutes to Ringsend.

Thats interesting to know :) I just bought an apartment next to this substation in Canon Hall. There is no humming sound from this station as well.

• Advertisement

ethernet wrote: »
    I lived behind that a few years ago. You should be more concerned about flooding occurring there than anything else!

I am right on the road at the junction of the new wapping street and east wall road so I think it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

2011 wrote: »
    It’s bullsh!t from flat earthers.

So the Dutch and Belgian governments are flat liners???
    They buying all of the houses under powerlines and near sub stations within 500 metres of the houses because it makes people sick

They buying all of the houses under powerlines and near sub stations within 500 metres of the houses because it makes people sick

Is it for true? I couldn’t find this info on web? Would you mind sharing a link claiming this? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

As machiavellianme said, it's not that big an area it supplies, definitely not most of inner city Dublin. More like all of sherriff street area.

Cienciano wrote: »
    As machiavellianme said, it's not that big an area it supplies, definitely not most of inner city Dublin. More like all of sherriff street area.

Interestingly it won't even produce a 1db humming noise - Its damn silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I call bullshíte. Within 500m of substations? You can get rid of temple bar for a start because of the station on fleet street.

One on Sth King street at stephens green centre. 500m goes as far as trinity college in one direction. Half of Dublin would have to be sold off as uninhabitable. And that's just 2 stations.

I don’t believe that. My Dutch colleague never heard of this either.
    Do you have a link ?

Why don’t the people that work in and around substations suffer any adverse effects? It has never made me feel unwell.

Also why don’t we have that policy in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

OSI wrote: »
    They're lizards.

But we are lizards with feelings lol

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" Abraham Lincoln

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

2011 wrote: »
    I don’t believe that. My Dutch colleague never heard of this either.
    Do you have a link ?

Why don’t the people that work in and around substations suffer any adverse effects? It has never made me feel unwell.

Also why don’t we have that policy in Ireland?

Let your colleague read this

https://www.jrseco.com/nl/nederlandse-staat-koopt-1300-huishoudens-uit-die-onder-hoogspanningskabel-wonen/?c=392e40eaa002

Or thishttp://medischdossier.org/archief/jaargang_11/nummer_4/artikel_488/dossier_elektromagnetische_velden_ziekte_onder_hoogspanning.html

Or

http://www.e-beware.com/uitkoopregeling-woningen-onder-hoogspanningslijnen/

And so on
    search even pages from the Dutch government , plenty information about it

https://www.rivm.nl/Onderwerpen/H/Hoogspanningslijnen

https://www.tennet.eu/fileadmin/user_upload/Our_Grid/Landowners/Wonen_nabij_hoogspanning.pdf

• Advertisement

First of all this link states that it applies to homes within 50m of cables, not 500m.

This link thanks to Google Translate states:

The Ministry of Economic Affairs states that the buy-out scheme is aimed at relieving residents and not at lowering potential health risks.

... and goes on to say:

Both the avoidance of housing on new high-voltage lines and the purchase of people living under existing lines happen without there being conclusive evidence that people run health risks due to the presence of the lines.

...and the same extract from this:

The Ministry of Economic Affairs states that the buy-out scheme is aimed at relieving residents and not at lowering potential health risks

And so on
    search even pages from the Dutch government , plenty information about it

https://www.rivm.nl/Onderwerpen/H/Hoogspanningslijnen

Extract from the above:

Because of the (potential) health effects, the Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management has developed a precautionary policy.

Not exactly conclusive!

I certianly agree with the following statement from your last link:

Since the 1970s, much research has been done into the possible influence of magnetic fields on health. This has shown that it is unlikely that the electrical and magnetic fields caused by high-voltage lines or cables in the living and working environment are harmful to health.

Many in the industry have spend entire careers working in very close proximity to live substations and HV cabling. If there was an issue I am sure there would be conclusive proof by now.

@ crossmolinalad, this link is from a very reputable source, the ESB.
    Here is an extract from that link which sums it up nicely:
    Investigations of EMF Effects

A debate about the possible effect on human and animal health of electric and magnetic fields has continued since the 1970s. Since then, many thousands of studies have been undertaken all over the world to assess any potentially harmful effects from power lines, electrical appliances and domestic wiring. To date no conclusive evidence has been found proving that electric and magnetic fields are harmful. ESB is fully aware of the questions currently being raised and is actively supporting research programmes.
    The following is a brief guide to the body of research undertaken worldwide.

Human studies

Human volunteers have assisted in international studies. These detailed and thorough programmes exposed volunteers to electric and magnetic fields under strictly controlled laboratory conditions. The strengths employed were much stronger than people normally experience in their day-to-day lives — ranging up to 20kV/m and 5,000μT, with exposures of several hours. These presented much greater levels of exposure than the levels from ESB lines shown in Table 1, Page 6. Under these conditions, a wide range of performance and blood tests were carried out. No marked ill-effects of these very high levels of exposure were observed. Small physiological changes were seen, such as changes in heart rate. But these changes were well within the normal range of variation. Such temporary physiological changes are not regarded as adverse to health.

Interestingly page 10 of this document shows that the electrical field from overhead lines was weaker (0.2 μT) than an electric blanket (3.3 μT). This aligns with some of your links too.
    Says it all really.

Advertisement