Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catherine Street in Limerick

Options
  • 03-08-2018 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering what that area is like these days with the likes of Starbucks and Uber moving in close to the area? Would you say it’s safe enough at night/early morning hours when one is on their way to work?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It was even before the likes of Uber and Starbucks arrived.

Like any city, usual rules of safety apply at night/early morning. Be aware of your surroundings and people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Alisonwonder

Berty wrote: »
    It was even before the likes of Uber and Starbucks arrived.

Like any city, usual rules of safety apply at night/early morning. Be aware of your surroundings and people.

Thanks for your reply. So you would say it’s relatively safe? I’m looking to rent out a room somewhere and that’s one of the streets I’m considering. (I’m not from Limerick myself)

Also, what are the morning buses like (specifically the 304) do they come on time? I’ve to catch two buses one city one and the other a regional one and I’m worried if the first one doesn’t come or is late then I’m screwed. :/

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

it was never an unsafe area to begin with. lots of bars, cafes, restaurants & shops in this area as has been for a long time so there are always lot of people about.

what regional bus are you getting?? would you not get that from the city centre or station?
    you will get the 304 bus on William street. which is only a 2-3min walk from Catherine st. The 304 bus starts its journey on William st so it will always be/go on time in the morning. Your problem will be the bus home, from Castletroy to the City where by afternoon/evening can be less predictable (you might be waiting ages then 2 coming along together kinda deal)...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Alisonwonder

damowill wrote: »
    it was never an unsafe area to begin with. lots of bars, cafes, restaurants & shops in this area as has been for a long time so there are always lot of people about.

you will get the 304 bus on William street. which is only a 2-3min walk from Catherine st. The 304 bus starts its journey on William st so it will always be/go on time in the morning. Your problem will be the bus home, from Castletroy to the City where by afternoon/evening can be less predictable (you might be waiting ages then 2 coming along together kinda deal)...

The 304 bus I mentioned would be from a different house Im considering. I would take it from Childer’s Road into the city to catch a bus at 8.30am from the bus station. Hence why I was wondering if it wouldn’t be easier to just rent a place in the city and walk to the bus station in the morning instead. (Since it looks close enough)

The 304 Line that passes Childer’s road and goes to the city is less frequent than the one to Raheen I’d only have one chance of catching it really otherwise I’d need to take a taxi to make sure I catch the regional one. I’m not worried about the evenings (since I’ll be on my way home so time won’t matter as much) but the mornings are definitely important)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

The 304 bus I mentioned would be from a different house Im considering. I would take it from Childer’s Road into the city to catch a bus at 8.30am from the bus station. Hence why I was wondering if it wouldn’t be easier to just rent a place in the city and walk to the bus station in the morning instead. (Since it looks close enough)

The 304 Line that passes Childer’s road and goes to the city is less frequent than the one to Raheen I’d only have one chance of catching it really otherwise I’d need to take a taxi to make sure I catch the regional one. I’m not worried about the evenings (since I’ll be on my way home so time won’t matter as much) but the mornings are definitely important)

Thanks

As someone who has relied on the 304 in the past they're normally pretty on time in the morning as traffic hasn't built up by then. The evening they can vary wildly, from 4 buses in a row to waiting 50 mins for a bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Thanks

Didnt know the 304 went via Childers road. Think that could be the 301?

Catherine St would be a nicer area than most parts of Childers road as well unless the house is closer to Ballinacurra rd side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

damowill wrote:

Really? I know we want to stop the negative stuff about our city but no need to lie. Catherine street was a haven for drug dealing, muggings, homeless people and prostitution only a couple of years back! To say it was never unsafe is disingenuous if not just ignorance .

The street has become a little better these days but it is still a city center and is probably not going to feel 100% safe for lets say a woman walking around at 3/4 in the morning by herself. Probably not 100% safe for men either to be fair.

There are still going to be junkies and homeless no matter what city center. But as long as you are aware and have lived in a city before you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Nowhere in the city is 100% safe, especially at night.

Since Christmas there was a sizable number of well reported assaults in the city by gangs of youths. One incident occurred on Cruises Street in which a man and his pregnant wife were attacked unprovoked and beaten. The other incidents were also unprovoked.

I'd never advise any women to walk around the city late at night unaccompanied.

And before anyone jumps down my throat, I'd say the same for any town or city in Ireland.

myshirt wrote: »
    What?

Please post back and confirm this is satire. None of these are facts. Flip it on its head and you will be talking sense.

And can we get over this idea Limerick is dangerous. It's not. I'd walk anywhere, any time, any place, and not be worried, let alone have to walk around the city.
    It's like the perception if you cycle to work you'll get wet. Reality is you rarely will. So if you think you've a 2% chance of getting into bother in Limerick, trim that down to 0.2%, and then take precautions to avoid that 0.2% chance.

Limerick is a city. There is no such thing as a safe city. Stop saying that people can walk anywhere, any time and any place here because someone online says its OK and they never had any trouble doing so. There are no go areas.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

mod note: deleted a chunk of posts totally not relevant to what the poster asked. Few posters stepped over the line who should know better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

damowill wrote: »
    Didnt know the 304 went via Childers road. Think that could be the 301?

Catherine St would be a nicer area than most parts of Childers road as well unless the house is closer to Ballinacurra rd side.

304 would head up the Childers road from the Parkway roundabout and then turn right to head down Blackboy Road/Mulgrave Street.

Thanks

Where would this house be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Limerick is a city. There is no such thing as a safe city. Stop saying that people can walk anywhere, any time and any place here because someone online says its OK and they never had any trouble doing so. There are no go areas.

It is common now to see groups of young men - who appear to be intoxicated - in the vicinity of the John's Square, John Street, Cathedral Place and Lower Gerald Griffin Street areas at early hours of the day, from 8.a.m. or so.

chicorytip wrote: »
    It is common now to see groups of young men - who appear to be intoxicated - in the vicinity of the John's Square, John Street, Cathedral Place and Lower Gerald Griffin Street areas at early hours of the day, from 8.a.m. or so.

OP that general area is nowhere near Catherine Street.

YFlyer wrote:
    OP that general area is nowhere near Catherine Street.

Yes, of course, I know. I'm just pointing out that this type of activity will not disappear simply because of a Garda clampdown in one particular street or area. The Dock Road /Steamboat Quay and Upper Henry Street areas are also places where pedestrians are at risk of being harassed and attacked - in broad daylight.

YFlyer wrote:
    304 would head up the Childers road from the Parkway roundabout and then turn right to head down Blackboy Road/Musgrave Street.

Mulgrave Street.

Mulgrave Street.

Good Man. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Yes, of course, I know. I'm just pointing out that this type of activity will not disappear simply because of a Garda clampdown in one particular street or area. The Dock Road /Steamboat Quay and Upper Henry Street areas are also places where pedestrians are at risk of being harassed and attacked - in broad daylight.

I walk Upper Henry Street / Dock Road twice a day, before my dog passed 4 times a day. I have never had an issue walking in those areas.

I would also say I've been walking along there for the last 7 years. In daytime and at night time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

source wrote: »
    I walk Upper Henry Street / Dock Road twice a day, before my dog passed 4 times a day. I have never had an issue walking in those areas.

I would also say I've been walking along there for the last 7 years. In daytime and at night time.

They are known dodgy areas for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

They are known dodgy areas for a reason.

Are they? What exactly makes them known dodgy areas? The existence of McGarry House? Our the social services centre?

McGarry House I'll grant you isn't great, but it hasn't destroyed the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Mr.H wrote: »
    Catherine street was a haven for drug dealing, muggings, homeless people and prostitution only a couple of years back! To say it was never unsafe is disingenuous if not just ignorance .

Muggings would mean that a place is not safe. I am not aware of muggings happening on Catherine Street though. I live in the city centre and would walk it daily at all times. Never once did I feel unsafe.

Drug dealing, homelessness and prostitution don't necessarily make a place unsafe. I am not aware of very much of this happening on Catherine Street. Low levels of this kind of thing do happen, but they are incredibly hyped up. I can accept low levels of the above on my street so long as it doesn't affect me.

In my opinion, Catherine Street is one of the best places in the city to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Vanquished

zulutango wrote: »

In my opinion, Catherine Street is one of the best places in the city to live.

If only the Council would realise this or could even care just a little to put some investment in to the footpaths, lighting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I've been in Dublin, Limerick, Waterford and Cork cities between the hours of 12am-5am. I've never had any trouble in any of these cities.

Nenagh town at 3am is another story.

Youll find the provincial towns are a lot worse most nights.

Advertisement