Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claim Social Welfare over summer?

Options
  • 03-08-2018 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

I know im very late enquiring about this but i didnt think you could. I'm currently covering a maternity leave in a primary school since last February to probably around the end of October. I'm just wondering as someone asked me today can I get social welfare? I don't really know how it works as I rang the social welfare office and they said if I am getting paid over the summer I can't any. But then I got a pay sheet last week and it says about 'Holiday Pay' for 10/7/18 》23/7/18. I thought you had to be permanent to get paid over the summer or what is this payment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭andreoilin

As far as I know, if you're covering maternity leave then you will get paid through the summer. I think it's only if you're temping that you don't. I stand to be corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

No you don't get paid your salary for holidays when covering a maternity leave. The holiday pay is a lump sum of money that is a certain percentage held back from your daily rate for each day you work. You should be entitled to social welfare for the summer. Go in to your local office asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

If you received a lump sum of holiday pay then no you would not be entitled to social welfare. I know it seems unfair but they will yell you that the Dept have already paid you. If you are covering a maternity leave you normally would have received such a payment, I think it comes through mid July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

It would be worth your while calling in to your local intreo centre. They were very helpful with me.

I had to get a form filled in by payroll (email it to them and was back to me in two days) and had to provide bank statements.

What have you got to lose.

Advertisement