Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riello Burner Issue

Options
  • 02-08-2018 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi folks, first time poster here. Just wanted to check something in case I'm making a mountain out of a molehill.

Basically, I had an issue with my oil burner last week which I think was due to it not being on for about 3 months. A plumber came and changed the oil pump and it ran for A short period. It then broke apparently due to water and sh!te being in my oil tank (though the tank is 3 quarters full after a fill in March.)

Anyway, he couldn't get the boiler to fire at all after that and trying another pump (after clearing out the line) so he got me a second hand burner and installed that. The heat is great from it.... However, my carbon monoxide alarm went up to 65 in the living room (oil burner is on other side of the wall and I think the electric feed is spliced from a socket in the living room). Now the alarm didn't go off, just the reading went up to 65 (I brought in the one from the kitchen and it went up to 65 almost straight away)

I've opened all windows and left the room but wondering is this a problem with the new boiler or maybe it hasn't been set up right.

There seems to be soot around the flue in the boiler house which I don't think was there before.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

PQ.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 PeaQueue

Apologies, could this be moved to the Plumbing and Heating SubForum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Cerco

Did he drain out the water from your oil tank?
    Think this should be done before firing up the burner.
    Probably caused both pumps to fail.

Is he coming back to replace the burner?
    I would not use the boiler at all until it is properly serviced. Remember carbon monoxide is a killer.

Yeah he drained out the water. The replacement burner is fitted but when I put the heat on for 30mins the carbonmonoxide alarm showed 65. The alarm didn't sound as it has to be this level for a few hours before it's an issue but I'm guessing having the heat on shouldn't have this effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Did he analyze the flu gases? He should have provided you with a printout with the levels of the different gases.

Im not sure, I'm thinking I should be ringing him back either way. (And not using the heating in the mean time)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

PeaQueue wrote: »
    Im not sure, I'm thinking I should be ringing him back either way. (And not using the heating in the mean time)

When I was getting my boiler serviced, I must have called 10 plumbers before I found one that analyzes the gases. I got lines such as “ah sure I’d know by the smell of the gases”. Utter cowboys. Carbon monoxide is odorless , colorless and tasteless.

I’d make sure it’s done the next time you have someone look at the boiler. They should give you a printout of the gas readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

From what you've posted, the CO problem started with the installation of a second-hand burner. It seems a bit mental to install a second-hand burner from an unknown source without checking CO levels. Maybe it was got rid of because it wasn't burning properly!

AFAIK, CO is created by incomplete combustion, e.g. soot build up or insufficient air supply.

Advertisement