Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You have 150+ million dollars to spend ...

Options
  • 02-08-2018 5:47pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

... what movie do you produce - and why?

Just for fun, seeing how we'd like to think we know better than Hollywood ;) Assuming as well there's no restriction on licensing, existing franchises, studio or whatnot; pure blue sky thinking (to use business lingo).

To get things started, I have a couple of ideas:

Just to cheat, I'd consider splitting my 100 million & giving ~25 each to genuine auteurs to make some uniquely "non studio" approaches to tired franchises: IPs like Alien, Terminator etc. are played out, having morphed from indy successes to part of the Hollywood machine. Something like, I dunno, Alex Garland to write & direct his own, uncontested Alien movie. Wes Anderson directs a Marvel movie *shrug*

Or. I have a soft spot for proper Space Operas & having recently read the "Long Way to a Small Angry Planet" series, it'd be a fun IP to see on screen. It's very character driven, whose cast are interesting, empathic, compassionate creatures - there's no real conflict or galactic stakes really (even the interpersonal conflict is somewhat minimum), so it'd be a hard sell as a standard Blockbuster - yet still requiring a large budget for the predominantly alien main cast (of course, I'd use animatronic puppets as much as possible).

Comments

pixelburp wrote: »
    ... what movie do you produce - and why?

Just for fun, seeing how we'd like to think we know better than Hollywood ;) Assuming as well there's no restriction on licensing, existing franchises, studio or whatnot; pure blue sky thinking (to use business lingo).

To get things started, I have a couple of ideas:

Just to cheat, I'd consider splitting my 100 million & giving ~25 each to genuine auteurs to make some uniquely "non studio" approaches to tired franchises: IPs like Alien, Terminator etc. are played out, having morphed from indy successes to part of the Hollywood machine. Something like, I dunno, Alex Garland to write & direct his own, uncontested Alien movie. Wes Anderson directs a Marvel movie *shrug*

I would spend the first 50 million to block these productions above :D

The rest would go on a proper production of the Ghenghis Khan books written by Conn Iggulden, from his birth up to the Kublai Khan era. The Ghenghis Khan story has never been done proper justice on the big or small screen

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Give Superman to Kevin Smith - free reign, just to see how it would turn out primarily and because it couldn’t be worse than anything that’s come out in the last decade or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

A complete history of Ireland.

Series of ten movies starting with
    the ancients,
    Celtics,
    Vikings,
    normans,
    brits,
    home rule,
    rising,
    civil war,
    young country over ran by church and corruption,
    then modern times finishing at gay marriage referendum.

All with the same actors playing different parts in each time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Give Superman to Kevin Smith - free reign, just to see how it would turn out primarily and because it couldn’t be worse than anything that’s come out in the last decade or so.

And given what he'd been through the first time around, there'd have to be a scene featuring a giant spider ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I’d give it to Lynne Ramsay to make Blood Meridian.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A few months back I would have suggested making a new adaptation of Dune, but Denis Villeneuve has got there first (and probably one of the few directors I'd have been happy to helm it)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

Live Action Shrek complete with Eddie Murphy dressed as donkey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I'd give a lot of it to John Carpenter to see him finally make his Western.

Or else I'd use it to buy the next Scorsese film, The Irishman, off Netflix and release it theatrically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

Peatys wrote: »

the ancients,
    Celtics,
    Vikings,
    normans,
    brits,
    home rule,
    rising,
    civil war,

I was thinking of something similar a while back but more of a TV series where each series covers a particular era in Irish history and the same actors playing the parts. Get out of my head!

If we're going for big budget I'd love to do a Braveheart-esque movie on Brian Boru and the battle of Clontarf filmed like "Apocolypto" and be in Irish. It would have the same stars that are in every big budget Irish film and full of historical inaccuracies but the Yanks would lap it up.
    I’d give it to Lynne Ramsay to make Blood Meridian.
    I would love to see what John Hillcoat could make of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

p to the e wrote: »
    I would love to see what John Hillcoat could make of it.

Hillcoat had his shot at McCarthy. Ditto Ridley Scott. Neither of them were able to cinematically adapt his prose, but Ramsey might. And if she can't then no one can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I'd give it to Chris Nolan and tell him to make an original story in the Star Wars universe, with no canon characters/fan **** etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I’d give it to Billy Walsh to make Medillin again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A movie about the Battle of Kursk directed by Steven Spielberg.

Close second would possible be a Halo movie directed (but not written by) Neil Blomkampf.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'd use the money to bring 'The War Against Chtorr' to the screen.

Villeneuve or Nolan can direct.

I'd give it to Guillermo del Toro to make At the Mountains of Madness.

Oh yeah, he has been trying to make that for years now, hasn't he? May be mixing up tattle, but I want to say he was quite close to starting production too at one stage - and made Pacific Rim afterwards to get over the disappointment.

Oh yeah, he has been trying to make that for years now, hasn't he? May be mixing up tattle, but I want to say he was quite close to starting production too at one stage - and made Pacific Rim afterwards to get over the disappointment.

Prometheus killed it, I believe, but he was having trouble getting the money anyway. I think he had given up, but after The Shape of Water who knows...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I know 125 million wouldn't nearly be enough but I'd go for a Lord of the Rings type epic for Na Fianna folklore stories

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

So long as it's set in the 20's and someone like Ramsey Campbell oversees, that's fine. I'd be wary of what del Toro would end up doing with Lovecraft's story, to be honest. His pictures tend leave me cold and disappointed overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Peatys wrote: »

the ancients,
    Celtics,
    Vikings,
    normans,
    brits,
    home rule,
    rising,
    civil war,

The wachowski sisters beat you to that idea ... I thought I was being funny saying sisters and just found out the 2nd brother had a sex change as well...wtf like?
    On the plus side I would spend a million of it on producing a reality show about a man who was given 149 million to blow :)

Blazer wrote: »
    On the plus side I would spend a million of it on producing a reality show about a man who was given 149 million to blow :)

Brewsters Millions?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Id reboot the tv show 'Space Above and Beyond'

Id also make a movie of 'One Hundred Years of Solitude' by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Id consider continue, not reboot Quantum Leap

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

"Space Above and Beyond", now there's a blast from the past; if any 90s property was ripe for a reboot, there's a good one. I suspect it's one of those shows that has aged worse than I remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,672 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I would love to make a movies using all actors who never had a break, that is whole point of movie. I'd use 20 Stallone type actors who never got a shot.
    This would be an epic movie, no special effects, no sci-fi just good old fashion story and acting but with a big budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭brevity

"Space Above and Beyond", now there's a blast from the past; if any 90s property was ripe for a reboot, there's a good one. I suspect it's one of those shows that has aged worse than I remember it.

Wasn't that written by some of the writers of the X files

yep Morgan and Wong
    there was some crossover with actors from the X-Files
    I actually watched it again about 5 years ago and yes it has aged but still a great show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Produce a proper adaptation of Dracula.... really amazes me that for the amount of adaptations very few have come close to a faithful one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I would use it to make a Red Dwarf movie. I think 150+ million would make a fairly good Red Dwarf move. Hire a decent director Rian Johnson maybe and a writer. Would love a good space comedy movie. I would aim for it to be about 2 hours long but with lots of laughs in it.
    Can,t believe it has not been made into a movie yet. Even fecking Mrs Browns Boys got a movie like.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

A film adaptation of Perdido Street Station.

Advertisement