Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a 1 man tent

Options
  • 02-08-2018 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

My budget is very tight, it's not going to be used a lot, a few 3 days trips a year, want to keep to a 1 man as space and weight are limited, just wondering if anyone has any experience of the ones I have listed below or can recommend any. I know the more I spend the better a tent I'll get but really want to keep down.

Highlander blackthorn
    Gelert track 1
    Yellowstone matterhorn

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

What's your budget? Personally I'd avoid Gelert and Yellowstone. Don't know enough about Highlander to comment.

The Vango Soul 200 weighs just over 2 kilos. It's 69 from Charles Camping. It's a 2 man tent but you're better off going for a 2 man as you'll have room for your gear.

Where are you going to? Would a hammock and tarp be an option? DD Hammocks are great - I have the camping hammock: and the 3*3 tarp. Tie it up properly with the tarp low on the hammock and it's as good as any tent - even in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Orion wrote: »
    What's your budget? Personally I'd avoid Gelert and Yellowstone. Don't know enough about Highlander to comment.

The Vango Soul 200 weighs just over 2 kilos. It's 69 from Charles Camping. It's a 2 man tent but you're better off going for a 2 man as you'll have room for your gear.

Where are you going to? Would a hammock and tarp be an option? DD Hammocks are great - I have the camping hammock: and the 3*3 tarp. Tie it up properly with the tarp low on the hammock and it's as good as any tent - even in winter.

Cheers, budget is to stay as low as possible, I'm travelling by motorbike (sports so it's not built for carrying much) going inbetween Cotswold's, Peak District and Snowdonia, while the plan over the next few years is to go wild camping, this year it's in parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,933 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That Vango is a great tent for the money. I would also recommend something of similar size. They might be 2 man tents, but they are tiny. My own one is this Coleman. I paid £62 for it 3 years ago which is excellent value for money, but it seems to be more expensive now:

Linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Colemans are excellent tents. I have the Vango Banshee 200 myself. Expensive but excellent and fits in my rucksack with all my gear. I was in Wales at christmas a couple of years ago and Millet's were having a sale - got it for £60 - how happy was I :)

That doesn't help the OP though :)

With what you're planning I'd rule out the hammock as you can't be guaranteed trees. Tbh I don't think you'll do much better than the Soul 200 I linked above. 69 quid and it will last for years if looked after. You can also get the Soul 100 for 65 but I would highly recommend going up a size for the sake of €4. 2 man tent is one man plus gear.

If you go for Gelert or Yellowstone you'll be buying another tent in a couple of years - they're just not great quality. If Tesco sell them (which they do Gelert and Yellowstone) then you can be reasonably certain they are price over function.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I've been given a gift of a gelert chinook, sadly one of the poles splintered 1st time but it has shown me that weight isn't as important as I thought, more down to the size of it when packed up. Am gonna have a look at the soul 200 and the coleman Cortez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

Vango Banshee 200 is great tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭tphase

what about a 2nd hand tent? There are bargains out there and sometimes you'll find excellent tents at a fraction of their original price
    eg Came across this one today

https://www.adverts.ie/tents/vango-tbs-micro-100-1-person-tent/16083646
    Not exactly a bargain price but a great little tent. I have one that's 18 years old and only just replaced it (otherwise I'd be putting an offer on this). Vango stopped making them probably 15 years ago.

Advertisement