Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woods V's Mickelson

Options
  • 02-08-2018 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/sport/golf/2018/0802/982721-woods-and-mickelson-set-for-10m-head-to-head-clash/

The proposed $10 million (€8.6m) winner-takes-all-match between Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson is set to take place in November, according to a report by ESPN.

The possibility of a contest between the former Ryder Cup team-mates has been mooted since the Players Championship in May, when they played the first two rounds at Sawgrass in the same group.

Mickelson told his pre-tournament press conference that the excitement around the pairing "got him thinking" about bypassing the "ancillary stuff of a tournament and just go head-to-head and just have kind of a high-stake, winner-take-all match".

Told about the idea later, Woods said: "I'm definitely not against that. We'll play for whatever makes him uncomfortable."

An original date of July 3 failed to transpire and ESPN now report the match will take place on Thanksgiving weekend in Las Vegas, either on Friday, November 23 or Saturday, November 24.

Masters champion Patrick Reed said during last month's Scottish Open that it would be "just kind of an exhibition" unless Mickelson and Woods were playing for their own money, but Mickelson indicated that would not be the case.

"I would hope for a sponsor," he said with a smile.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭benny79

well I hope they dont get sponsorship hungry c**ts..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,490 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

This would be so lame unless it was their own money, which of course it won’t be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

What a waste of money, how that kinda money could be put back into the game at grassroots level instead of giving it to two or the richest golfers to play the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,136 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'm guessing they wouldnt actually keep the money and it would go to charity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

GreeBo wrote: »
    I'm guessing they wouldnt actually keep the money and it would go to charity

Well judging by what Phil seems to be willing to do for a bit of cash I'd say he will be keeping some of it anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I'd love to think it would all got to charity but i reckon these guys will still command an appearance fee or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Ronney

As said above its only interesting if its their own Money!

While Tiger is on the come back it really is a match 10 years too late in meaningless venue.

Would love to see it take place in somewhere like Pine Valley that always gets rated at the top but is never seen on TV. Even somewhere like the Old Head would almost be worth it as a tourist advertisement.

Rory and The Big Cat played an exhibition match in China a few years back for a million each or something like that. Both were miked up for it. The whole event was summed up for me when they shook hands on 18 and discussed when they would see each other next before saying goodbye and heading there separate ways. Not so much as a beer in the club house after!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,136 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I'd love to think it would all got to charity but i reckon these guys will still command an appearance fee or similar.

It would be rich to look for appearance money in their own event!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I take it the assumption is that one of the networks will pick this up and bill it as some kind of major grudge match. Not that it leaves me agog with anticipation or even anything remotely close.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I won't bother watching this nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,283 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I take it the assumption is that one of the networks will pick this up and bill it as some kind of major grudge match. Not that it leaves me agog with anticipation or even anything remotely close.

If they found a time machine to go back 15 years then maybe it's be worth it.

If it's not for charity it'll be even worse than imagined!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭valoren

Should bring back Shell's Wonderful World of Golf instead. Stopped airing in 2003.

Advertisement