Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handicap Q

Options
  • 01-08-2018 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭

Question for those in the know. In a calendar year I know you can only get a single shot back. So if for example a player on 11.0 at the start of the year and drifts to 11.8 only to receive a handicap cut of 1.0 back to 10.8. Would they then only be able to a further 0.2 back or if they play enough comps for the remaining year can they go to 12.0 a full shot over what they started the year at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭sthilmick

as far as I'm aware you can only get out to 11.8 . say you start a 11 go out to 11.8 get cut to 10.8 go out to 11.4 loose 1.2 now 10.2 can go out to 11.2 its the lowest HC you are in the golfing year plus 10x0.1 .I hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

You can get cut an unlimited amount - you can only get 10 0.1 increases in a year - so if you start the year on 11 the max you could go up to would be 12.

There’s no limit on how low U can go

• Registered Users Posts: 27,136 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Is one of the points we differ from the other congu members.
    Limited to 1 shot above lowest in Ireland, 1 shot from starting handicap for the others.
    It may restrict increases of Exact Handicaps to a maximum of 1.0 stroke in a calendar year as provided by Clause 20.10. Ireland restricts increases of the lowest Exact Handicap to 1.0 stroke in a calendar year under this clause. England, Scotland and Wales make no restrictions under this clause

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

You can get cut an unlimited amount - you can only get 10 0.1 increases in a year - so if you start the year on 11 the max you could go up to would be 12.

There’s no limit on how low U can go

Not entirely true. You can get unlimited .1s back in the year but your handicap can only increase by 1 full shot from your lowest handicap.

Eg start the year on 10.0. If you then get 10 .1s in a row you are off 11.0. Then you might get cut 1.0 so you are back to 10. Get another 10.s in a row and you are back to 11.0 etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Not entirely true. You can get unlimited .1s back in the year but your handicap can only increase by 1 full shot from your lowest handicap.

Eg start the year on 10.0. If you then get 10 .1s in a row you are off 11.0. Then you might get cut 1.0 so you are back to 10. Get another 10.s in a row and you are back to 11.0 etc etc

this.

exceptions though can and do apply.

I think if you get 7 .1's in a row it can trigger an exception that can be looked at by handicap committee who may review your handicap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Seve OB wrote: »
    this.

exceptions though can and do apply.

I think if you get 7 .1's in a row it can trigger an exception that can be looked at by handicap committee who may review your handicap.

This would be the continuous handicap review and as a handicap sec it’s a pain the hole

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Seve OB wrote: »

thankfully i stopped my poor streak at 6 in a row. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

charlieIRL wrote: »
    thankfully i stopped my poor streak at 6 in a row. :(

Thankfully managed to sneak in a buffer myself after 5 in a row (and then followed that up with a buffer missed by 1 a week later), so would have hit the 7 mark

I presume when you hit buffer its reset?

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Ronney

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I presume when you hit buffer its reset?
    Correct.

It only Triggers a review too, so if you say missed a buffer by 1 a few times a HC Sec is unlikely to do much.

In my club there has been some great slagging between the old lads as to who has now got the +28 H/C and who hasn't. The H/C Sec is not popular with former crowd!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Bit of a hijack moment, bit don't think it needs a new thread.

If you play in an open and do well/poorly, will your handicap change based on this? As in is it essentially like playing a singles comp in your own club?

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Ronney

wardides wrote: »

If you play in an open and do well/poorly, will your handicap change based on this? As in is it essentially like playing a singles comp in your own club?

Yes, H/C will change exactly as it would in home club for open singles as all is centrally controlled on the same database.

Only issue arises is some smaller clubs might take a day or two to update their records. If you have a good round in an open on say a Friday and would be due a cut and you are playing a gain the next day and the comp hasn't been closed to allow your HC be updated it is up to you do adjust your HC down the necessary amount.

In our club the BRS system when you go to put in a score gives you the option to adjust.

Remember you can be DQ'ed for playing off a higher HC but no penalty for playing off a lower

Ronney wrote: »
    Yes, H/C will change exactly as it would in home club for open singles as all is centrally controlled on the same database.

Only issue arises is some smaller clubs might take a day or two to update their records. If you have a good round in an open on say a Friday and would be due a cut and you are playing a gain the next day and the comp hasn't been closed to allow your HC be updated it is up to you do adjust your HC down the necessary amount.

In our club the BRS system when you go to put in a score gives you the option to adjust.

Remember you can be DQ'ed for playing off a higher HC but no penalty for playing off a lower

Just to add if you ever need to adjust your handicap in the above scenario, its only downwards you can adjust it (i.e. not add on a 0.1)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

wardides wrote: »

There's a good chance visitors CSS will be higher than members CSS so if you play well, your cut may be higher than expected or your buffer will be a few higher than normal.

Advertisement