Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New irons or new shafts

Options
  • 01-08-2018 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

hi all (sorry for spelling and grammar mistakes in advance)
    Im thinking of getting new irons or reshafting my current set . Im currently playing Mizuno MP53s started out with 3-pw and I was pretty decent with old thrusty 3i and 4i off the deck as well as off tees (iron play was always strongest part of my game) I took a break for a while and got back into it about 2 yrs ago but my iron play wasnt as hot as it once was I found a pair of titleist 910 3&4 h on done deal so I dropped the 3&4i for those but I wasnt really loving the 3h it went about as far as my 4wood and I prefered the wood. I bought a 910 5h I love it the 4h gives me the same distance as my old 3i the 5h corrosponds with my 4i but a way higher flight in both cases then I got sick last year and Im getting back into it slowly but surely .Im at the range although I'm not fully recovered I'm making progress . I hope to play a round in the next few weeks probally from a buggy (old man :eek:) but the bug is back . Along my few months of illness I came across a guy called Brian Sparks and his "Positive impact Golf" philosphy basically average people cant golf like pros and trying to copy them is a futile exersize . I've bought into it ,youtube him he's quiet interesting it's a methode that suits the older less flexable average person like me but here in lies the conundrum altough my ball striking is pretty good my irons feel harsh no give in the shafts and I feel as Ive lost alot of the height 10 -15 feet lower at peake height .My MPs have nippon 1150 tour stiff shafts last year before I got really sick I had a fitting and was recomended KBS tour 90 stiff shafts they are a fair bit lighter . I doubt I will ever be as strong fit or as flexable as my previous self but I do really love the look of my irons and am alway drawn to their ilk AP2s callaway apex pros and the like .Im hitting the driver well also the 4 wood better than ever and hitting the irons the right distance as long ad I used to just I recon that I'm loosing stopping power ie angle of decent and spin rate . They feel like the shafts are made of rebar now .any thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

It might be worth your while going back to a pro and getting your swing speed remeasured. Age has caught up with me too and I've changed from stiff to regular flex!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭sthilmick

Oh I'll defenitly go back to be fitted again I'm just wondering if I should change the lot or has anyone ever had their irons reshafted on how they felt they got on with them

Advertisement