Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Savings for Godchild - what's my best option?

• 01-08-2018 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ N.96

Having recently been asked to be a Godparent I am looking to start putting a bit of money away for them so that they can have it at 18/ 21.

The options I am currently considering as possibilities are:

1. Opening a regular saving account in their name (with consent and knowledge of parent) that I deposit 5 - 10 euro in per month

2. Opening an account where I deposit 40/ 50 euro twice a year

3. Putting a lump sum into something now (like a national solidarity bond or other account where it's held for quite some time to garner interest)

Like most people, what I want is to find the option that will give the most from my money at the end of 18 - 21 years. I have the funds to either put it all away now or, equally, I can put it away on the regular.

If possible, it would be nice to have it be a surprise but with restrictions in place to prevent money laundering I know that it may not be possible and, in that case, I have no issue putting the Mother's name on the accounts.

Suggestions other than the 3 above will definitely be considered. Giving specific banks/ places of saving would be very helpful also.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement