Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion is on but no hot water

Options
  • 01-08-2018 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello,

Brand new member here.

I've read through some other threads about immersions but I'm still having a problem.

Normally the water gets very hot quickly after I switch on the immersion and change the sink/bath switch to bath.

However, this evening I've had it on for two hours and it was still cold. In another thread there was a suggestion to switch to sink for a while. I did that 15 minutes ago and it is heating the water. From past experience I know that even if I have it on sink a long time the shower water will get cold very quick.

Can anyone suggest what I might be able to do to get "bath" working again?

What other information do I need to give to help with solutions. It was working on Monday.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

either the bath element is burned out or the switch is knackered.
    Unless you know what you are at, its a dangerous enough endeavour to do further tests

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 immersionpanic

either the bath element is burned out or the switch is knackered.
    Unless you know what you are at, its a dangerous enough endeavour to do further tests

I read in an old thread that the light on the switch should dip slightly when switching between sink and bath in the elements are a problem.

also that the fuse would trip when I switch it on the immersion if there is a bad element.

are this only ocassional indicators? the system is not new if that helps - it is on/off, sink/bath with a cable to the element.

EDIT: thanks for responding by the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I read in an old thread that the light on the switch should dip slightly when switching between sink and bath in the elements are a problem.

also that the fuse would trip when I switch it on the immersion if there is a bad element.

are this only ocassional indicators? the system is not new if that helps - it is on/off, sink/bath with a cable to the element.

EDIT: thanks for responding by the way :)

I have a dodgy bath element too. Has been like that for years. Only the sink heats some of the tank. It doesn't trip a fuse.

I haven't bothered replacing it as it's not the most cost effective way to heat a full tank of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,036 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Does sound like the bath element is gone or faulty switch. Not much you can do.

If it wasn't heating at all then maybe it could be a thermostat that needs resetting but since sink is working it's not that

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Can you not heat it with your boiler?

• Advertisement

Does sound like the bath element is gone or faulty switch. Not much you can do.

If it wasn't heating at all then maybe it could be a thermostat that needs resetting but since sink is working it's not that

Sink isn't very hot.

Where would I find the thermostat?

lawred2 wrote: »
    Can you not heat it with your boiler?

Boiler is not working. Needs to be replaced but my father won't do "because it is summer".

I'm at home for the next few months.

Should Sink be able to heat water for a shower?

How long would I need to leave the immersion on for a 5 minute hot water shower?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Sink isn't very hot.

Where would I find the thermostat?

If the sink element is heating the water it's not the thermostat.

It's either the switch or the immersion, call in someone who knows how to check them safely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

It depends on how much the element is damaged.

The sink will heat the water the same as the bath, but its half the size so will take a lot longer. Nothing you can do but get someone out to replace the immersion group or switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Davy wrote: »
    It depends on how much the element is damaged.

The sink will heat the water the same as the bath, but its half the size so will take a lot longer. Nothing you can do but get someone out to replace the immersion group or switch.

It won't ever heat the whole tank as the hot water rises and will open the stat.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Thank you everyone for the assistance.

Does anyone have a name and number for an electrician in Limerick that could fix this?

I've tried a few and all are going to voicemail. The only place to answer was a woman who said it should be a plumber that I call.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Boiler is not working. Needs to be replaced but my father won't do "because it is summer".

I'm at home for the next few months.
    Not addressing your current problem but it might be helpful to remind him that using the immersion to heat water rather than a (presuming?) gas boiler works out much more expensive, and come winter everyone will be looking to service and fix their boilers and you won't be able to get a plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Cerco

A faulty bath element won’t necessarily cause neons to dim or the mcb to trip.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Not addressing your current problem but it might be helpful to remind him that using the immersion to heat water rather than a (presuming?) gas boiler works out much more expensive, and come winter everyone will be looking to service and fix their boilers and you won't be able to get a plumber.

My father is the type who gets in a state about physically handing over money but doesn't panic about bills because he doesn't open the bills and bank statements.

I'd love to know what he is saving the money for.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Our immersion on Sink for 45 minutes or so will give plenty of hot water for a 10 minute shower though if you have a pumped/power shower or a smaller tank, you might find you get through the water in the tank far faster than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

We had issue with our immersion. First it wasn't heating well then the MCB would trip every time we tried to switch on either bath or sink.

Old Element
    20180619_181028.jpg

Plumber came out and replaced the element and switch and all working great now.

Advertisement