Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Opens?

Options
  • 01-08-2018 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to play a couple of opens in the next two or three weeks, and would welcome any recommendations.

East coast, Dublin, Kildare , Wicklow, or maybe up to an hour from Dublin for a good event.

Even if not this month I'd be curious to hear what Opens you'd recommend.. best event.... good course, friendly club, decent prizes (not essential of course).....?.

All thoughts and suggestions welcome and appreciated.:)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Arklow has its open week next week and also has its blue tee challenge this Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Concra wood have a few on. Wednesdays and fridays.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The last qualifying round of the Macreddin black tees challenge is on this Monday. It's 7200 yards of golf and if you break 30 points, you're through to the final which is being held later in the month afaik. If you have a look at their facebook page, you'll see the details. I think it's €25 entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

look at golfnet for the best list of opens. they are not all on it though.

most clubs who have opens tend to be fairly regular. eg Castleknock have opens every Tuesday, other clubs might just have their open on the first Monday of each month,

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

99% sure Portmarnock Links have Opens most Wednesdays circa e55 for GUI members , course is in great condition at the moment the rough is not as severe as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Bunclody Open week was this week but I think it's running until Tuesday next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

londonred wrote: »
    99% sure Portmarnock Links have Opens most Wednesdays circa e55 for GUI members , course is in great condition at the moment the rough is not as severe as normal.

Semi open you need to play with a member

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Lucan singles every Tuesday...best greens in Dublin and great grub and staff...and no I'm not a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Ronney

European has Opens bout 3 times a week.

Irish Close on there next few days so bound to be in peek condition (rarely isn't down there in fairness to them)

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Thanks all for the suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Druids Heath Open on a Wednesday I think and it's 25 or 30 with a meal, stonking value

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

slave1 wrote:
    Druids Heath Open on a Wednesday I think and it's 25 or 30 with a meal, stonking value

Fwiw played there today...place is in very good condition...greens nice and receptive

Fwiw played there today...place is in very good condition...greens nice and receptive

Heard the glen is in poor condition at the moment. Greens patchy and generally not as good as it used to be. Real shame if it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Heard the glen is in poor condition at the moment. Greens patchy and generally not as good as it used to be. Real shame if it continues.
    I'd say that's a result of the weather. Recent rain would have helped I'm sure.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I'd say that's a result of the weather. Recent rain would have helped I'm sure.

Possibly but I was talking to someone who played there this week in an open and said the greens weren't cut.

Advertisement