Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forest felling

Options
  • 01-08-2018 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Have some Sitka spruce trees that are ready to harvest in the next year or so. Can anyone tell me is it possible to replant the area in Broad leaf. Its about 14 acres, not far from the home and for nothing more than not looking at those spruce trees I'd like to plant something different. The land is dry enough and often wondered why it was originally not planted in Broad leaf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Can anyone tell me is it possible to replant the area in Broad leaf.
    I don't know of any impediment to switching from spruce to broadleaves, but it'd be best to check with your forest consultant or the Forest Service before making too many concrete plans. The replanting plan will be part of the Felling Licence application anyway.
    Here's the current Department Reforestation Policy:
    https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/forestry/treefelling/FellingReforestationPolicyMay2017250517.pdf
    ...I'm not seeing anything about any issues changing species.

The land is dry enough and often wondered why it was originally not planted in Broad leaf

Because of this:
    Have some Sitka spruce trees that are ready to harvest in the next year or so.
    The spruce was planted as a commercial crop with some sort of reasonable expectation that the person planting them might be the beneficiary at the end of the rotation.
    Broadleaves only really start making a commercial return in a few generation's time, long after the original planter is trying to fund their stay in a nursing home with pretty nurses and leaving the way of paying for a decent headstone.

Advertisement