Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Plugs

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Lots of posts here already on these of you scroll down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭sioda

I have I was just hoping for some recommendations the plug thread is huge.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ok do you want a hub (initial expenses but cheaper sockets than stand-alone)

Do you want them to measure power usage

Do you want them to be the bulky double adapter type or fulsh look like regular sockets type

Do you want IFTTT integration

Basic one off units TP Link are good

Sexy chrome look like regular sockets lightwaverf or energie

Cheapest bulk buy white block energie on the hub

Nice neat bock type with power monitoring, Samsung smartthings

Really cheap wifi one off units SONOFF

I'm looking for very basic just to control lights and they have be one offs as its a rented flat.

Stupid question but do hubs give more options than the standalone?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

sioda wrote: »
    I'm looking for very basic just to control lights and they have be one offs as its a rented flat.

Stupid question but do hubs give more options than the standalone?

Generally hubs give more options, but for smart plugs this doesn't seem to be so much the case and wifi ones seem to be good enough.

I'd recommend the TP-Link ones (which I have myself) or if you want a bit cheaper the Sonoff ones look decent too, though I haven't tried them myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Stoner wrote: »
    Cheapest bulk buy white block energie on the hub

Excellent overview there, I agree with most of what you say, but I don't think I'd recommend the energenie plugs any more.

I've got them myself, but I've regulated mine to Christmas tree lights use only. I use the TP-Link and SmartThings ones instead for more important applications.

The Energenie have a number of issues:

1) If the internet goes down the hub stops working, very silly for a hub to do this.
    2) If the power goes, they default to off when the power comes back on, I'd rather they default to the last state.
    3) One way comms only

And the thing is they really aren't much cheaper then the Sonoffs. Energenie Hub + 3 plugs is £65, Sonoff is only £12, so £36 for three. Maybe if you are getting 10 or more, the Energenie will work out cheaper, but for most the Sonoff are probably cheaper, while having better capabilities for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I got these last week, they are grand

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D7BH6N8/

keane2097 wrote: »
    I got these last week, they are grand

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D7BH6N8/

They look pretty cool. Can I ask two qeustions:

1) What happens if your internet goes down (but wifi still up), do they continue to work?

2) What happens if your power goes off and comes back on again? You can ty this one by just turning off the switch at the wall socket and on again 30 seconds later.

Thanks

bk wrote: »
    They look pretty cool. Can I ask two qeustions:

1) What happens if your internet goes down (but wifi still up), do they continue to work?

2) What happens if your power goes off and comes back on again? You can ty this one by just turning off the switch at the wall socket and on again 30 seconds later.

Thanks

I haven't done any proper testing of the wifi but I did switch off/on the router the other day and the plugs continued to work as normal. I don't have them on schedules, just turning them on/off as wanted but they continued to appear under their set names in their app (Smart Life), continued to work with Alexa and IFTTT.

I have plugged them out, moved them to different rooms etc loads of times and as above there has been no impact to their operation.

Got them today all 3 installed very impressed tbh. Just using them for lights but can see so many options for them.

• Advertisement

sioda wrote: »
    Got them today all 3 installed very impressed tbh. Just using them for lights but can see so many options for them.

Feel free to share your ideas I have two sitting idle!

I travel a huge amount so have to power down some of my tech gear but with this could remote power it up which is handy for me.

Old faithful emersion one of these gives you real time at a distance hot water.

The lighting set up I have I will be expanding and that's where I see it the most.

Stuff I can't see kettle coffee maker these wont turn on automatically Google make latte one can dream

Advertisement