Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odour of smoke, buzzing sound, and heat, coming from the ESB main fuse box (80 Amps)

Options
  • 01-08-2018 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello dear electricians,

Last week, the 80 Amps fuse in the ESB main fuse box burned out, the moment I switched on my electric shower (Mira Elite ST 10kW Shower). I called the ESB Emergency number, and very soon the ESB electrician replaced the burnt fuse.

But!

Since then — 26/07/18 to be exact — every time the electric shower is used, from the main fuse box I smell smoke, hear buzzing sound, and the fuse box is feeling quite warm to the touch. The main fuse box and the meter are installed on (Bakelite?) board, not in a cabinet, inside the vestibule.

I must say that I was hearing the buzzing sound before, but never smelled smoke. The house is very old, and very rural - 3 km after Ladysbridge, Co. Cork.

Apparently, the problem is loose connection, getting much worse after the fuse replacement.

I do not want to call the ESB Emergency toll number again. Please tell me, is there a normal ESB number to tell them about that problem?

Thank you!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Switch off everything. This is not normal or safe.
    Contact ESB Networks immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

2011 wrote: »
    Switch off everything. This is not normal or safe.
    Contact ESB Networks immediately.

Turn main switch off immediately as 2011 says

Sounds like the problem is in your fuseboard and for this you need a registered electrical contractor
    If you contact esbn they may disconnect you requiring a certificate for reconnection
    This may cause you further problems

But you must turn off your power immediately and get your local registered electrical contractor out ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Agondonter

Thank you very much Meercat!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would be interested to know how you get on. I am not sure whether your issue is on the ESB side or not, based on your post I assumed it is, hence my reply. Either way it sounds like you dodged a bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

Be interested to know how you got on too op.

• Advertisement
Advertisement