Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workbench

Options
  • 01-08-2018 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just looking to fit a workbench in my shed. Initial thought was to get a second hand kitchen unit & counter from done deal or something but I want to have open space underneath the counter top. So I'm think of just fixing brackets to the wall and sitting a counter top on this.

Any idea where I'd get heavy duty brackets?

Wondering would these suffice
    https://www.ie.screwfix.com/heavy-duty-brackets-black-500-x-300mm-pack-of-2.html

Or any other ideas which would fit the job?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

they look too narrow, okay for stabilisation
    get a pair of scaffold boards and make a pair of legs from 4 by 2

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,081 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What do you see yourself using the work bench for? If it is just a (narrowish) shelf for stirring paint type of thing you might get away with brackets, but to do anything like hammering, putting any weight on at all, it would not be rigid enough. You can't avoid putting some substantial supports along the front edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭cletus

As above. If you plan on doing any heavy work at all, best bet is 4x2's and a sheet of 3/4" ply.

Depending on the width of the bench, you may have enough ply left over to put in a shelf underneath too

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭livingthedream

they look too narrow, okay for stabilisation
    get a pair of scaffold boards and make a pair of legs from 4 by 2

As suggested above I would look to make your own.

I did something similar in my shed. I built the basic general frame and then topped it with the boards that are used for stairs (tread board?). I put a pair of boards beside each other on top of the frame. I set the height of the frame so my tool chests would fit perfectly under the bench (see pic).

In the picture there are a couple of sheets of kitchen chipboard panels on it but you can see the 2 lengths of board underneath.

~LTD.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

LTD, nice set up, one comment is that if you need to get close to the bench to work, then you need a bit of toe space :)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I built a few things from this site, easy and cheap to construct.
    http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/workshop/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭livingthedream

LTD, nice set up, one comment is that if you need to get close to the bench to work, then you need a bit of toe space :)

:)

The drawers are actually on casters so you can get your toesies under! :D
    I guess it's not apparent from the angle the photo is taken from but there is also a decent gap between the two main sets of drawers that you can put a chair/stool at and keep your legs under the bench too... #downtherefordancin!

~LTD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭cletus

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I built a few things from this site, easy and cheap to construct.
    http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/workshop/index.htm

The first bench on that link is essentially what I built, except the shelf was higher

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

No need for 4" x 2" - use 2" x 2" & 3/4" ply same design as in the 1st workbench picture in the previous link.

I have them all round the walls of my shed very sturdy. Use compression anchors to fix the 2" x 2" to the wall then work off that.

You can cut a sheet of ply into 16" strips giving you 24' of work bench

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Thanks for the replies.

I wouldn't imagine too much heavy work would be happening on it, more like fixing stuff, potting plants etc.

I'll look into building my own for sure, that website seems decent!

• Advertisement
Advertisement