Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Druids glen or Mount Juliet

Options
  • 31-07-2018 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

They both have open days during aug/sept, can’t play both unfortunately so which would you recommend. There’s a weekend away with Druids Glen and I’m not sure if MJ has a prize. Opinions please. Btw is the new Headfort worth going to, it has open days around that time too.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I preferred Mount Juliet over Druids. Just thought it was a nicer course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Druids Glen all day for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Russman

Druids is lovely, but Mount Juliet is special imo. If the journey isn’t a factor I’d go with MJ. Neither will disappoint.

Headfort New is really, really good, arguably tougher than the other two but not nearly as manicured/well presented. Well worth the trip though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Both fine courses but I think Druids is much the tougher. MJ relatively forgiving but DG has some very demanding tee shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,490 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I enjoyed Mount Juliet when I played it. In reality, you can leave the Driver at home - Causes more harm than good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

Both are great courses, personally i prefer Druids Glen as it has a couple of stand out holes like the 12th, 13th, 17th, 18th. Hard now to believe that both held big international competions back in the day. Headfort New is a cracking course also, well worth playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

I prefer Druid's Glen as a course but after playing there on Monday I would avoid for a while, the place is in bits. Patchy fairways and you would get better greens in a €5 a round pitch n putt.

I don't know why it's so bad, it is usually immaculate. That's 2 times in a row I have been dissapointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

eoghan104 wrote: »
    I prefer Druid's Glen as a course but after playing there on Monday I would avoid for a while, the place is in bits. Patchy fairways and you would get better greens in a €5 a round pitch n putt.

I don't know why it's so bad, it is usually immaculate. That's 2 times in a row I have been dissapointed.

I played it a few weeks ago for the first time and was let down by the condition. Some of it can be blamed on the weather but I’ve played smaller courses in better nick before and after that round.

Still has some stunning holes.

I would say Headfort is the easier course by a long shot. A lot more room when tee’ing off and when hitting approach shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

That's dussapointing to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Ronney

Anyone played Mt J recently? They have open comps this week end and might pop out. Just wondering what condition its in after the weather we have had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Both courses are very enjoyable to play but Mount Juliet edges it for me. It was the first 'big' course I played growing up so something special about the place.

Find Druids slightly tougher and the 13th is one of the hardest holes in the country.

Either way you'll have a good day at both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Both great. But druids more memorable for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Played Mount Juliet last week and fairways and greens were in great condition.
    Rough is pretty burnt but that is to be expected.
    Actually just in front of the green on the 8th it was very wet and soggy. They must be throwing loads of water on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

What about mixing it up?

Mount Juliet Front 9
    2nd, 3rd, 4th, 7th, 10th, 11th, 13th, 17th, 18th

Druids Glen back 9
    1st, 5th, 7th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 15th, 17th 18th

Tried to pick 2 par 3's & 2 par 5's on each course. Found it hard leaving out some holes, impossible and stupid idea :(…. just do yourself a favour and try and play them both OP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Dr Devious

Unfortunately due to dates I won't be able to play both courses, its looking like Mount Juliet then on Headfort followed by Concra Wood the next day, I could gild the lily by playing the Heritage the day before Mount Juliet but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,128 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Dr Devious wrote: »
    They both have open days during aug/sept, can’t play both unfortunately so which would you recommend. There’s a weekend away with Druids Glen and I’m not sure if MJ has a prize. Opinions please. Btw is the new Headfort worth going to, it has open days around that time too.

Only throwing this out there as you seem to be in the market for a "Premium Parkland" Open. Lough Erne have an open on October 7th for £40.

Haven't played Mount Juliet yet but if faced with a Druids Glen vs Lough Erne, I would go for Lough Erne (for a second visit, I've played DG a good few times so that probably factors into it for me). It's a stunning course and great experience. Mark Crossfield is currently posting a Vlog of it this week... if you can bear him, it's worth a look.

I've played Loch Erne a few times, yeah its a nice course in the main, a few holes on the back 9 are a bit of a haul and plain enough and it can get wet, parklands do, wouldn't want to leave it too late in the year.. I would hope Mount Juliet is nicer. Btw I would put Slieve Russell ahead of Loch Erne.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Unfortunately due to dates I won't be able to play both courses, its looking like Mount Juliet then on Headfort followed by Concra Wood the next day, I could gild the lily by playing the Heritage the day before Mount Juliet but I doubt it.

well why not gild the lily and play Druids on the way down instead of the Heritage? Or drop Headfort next day and play Druids then instead? Concra is nice, but MJ & Druids are so much nicer

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭thewobbler

This is a first world problem thread if ever I read one!

You’ll have a fantastic time at any of the courses mentioned.

Don’t drop Headfort or Concra Wood. Both are proper grade A tracks, but at B track money.

—-

For reference, Druids Glen is probably my favourite parkland, whereas most of my group prefer Killen Castle, which I don’t think has been mentioned here. Slieve Russell is a more enjoyable course than Lough Erne, but Lough Erne is absolutely pristine and probably a better experience.

Seve OB wrote: »

well why not gild the lily and play Druids on the way down instead of the Heritage?  Or drop Headfort next day and play Druids then instead?  Concra is nice, but MJ & Druids are so much nicer
    M J, Headford and Concra have open days in that sequence hence the original post, I could switch to D G instead of M J and and play the other two also ALL on open days, but leaning towards Mount Juliet etc. Its a third world problem alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

M J, Headford and Concra have open days in that sequence hence the original post, I could switch to D G instead of M J and and play the other two also ALL on open days, but leaning towards Mount Juliet etc. Its a third world problem alright.

I played DG this week - greens ok but not great considering the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

I played DG this week - greens ok but not great considering the money.
    What greens would you be used to playing on? I thought they were terrible on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

What greens would you be used to playing on? I thought they were terrible on Monday.

Yeah, can't disagree, i was trying to be tactful :). They weren't great esp for a course with the rep as DG.

Half the problem was badly repaired pitchmarks and the greens should be rolled - some people haven't a clue how to fix a pitchmark...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Ronney wrote: »
    Anyone played Mt J recently? They have open comps this week end and might pop out. Just wondering what condition its in after the weather we have had.

Played it about a month ago. It was in great shape, greens were brilliant, running at 12 on the stimp

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I've played Loch Erne a few times, yeah its a nice course in the main, a few holes on the back 9 are a bit of a haul and plain enough and it can get wet, parklands do, wouldn't want to leave it too late in the year.. I would hope Mount Juliet is nicer. Btw I would put Slieve Russell ahead of Loch Erne.
    I'd agree with this, I don't think Louth Erne is all it's cracked up to be. Quite a ways behind MJ, Druids, Killeen Castle etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

fullstop wrote: »
    I'd agree with this, I don't think Louth Erne is all it's cracked up to be. Quite a ways behind MJ, Druids, Killeen Castle etc.
    I found the greens at Lough Erne very difficult - big and many contours.

Its also a fair treck around it - quite a few elevated tees. (When they hold that made for TV exhibition event , I'm pretty sure the pro's are taken up in buggies!)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,136 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I really enjoyed Lough Erne, find it a nice but tough course to play.
    It was s bit damp when I played but greens were still excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,878 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Mount Juilet the estate and grounds are out of this world. Great golf course with great holes like 3 , 10, 11, 13, 14, 17 and 18.

But I think there is something even more special about the run of holes from 2 to 14. in Druids Glen. The way the holes change shape and elevation is as impressive as it comes. It is an amazing place and course.

If Druids is in poor condition - it brings the two of them a bit closer. Both fanatasitc hotels at both locations. (But fairly expensive).
    Sadly I think Druids has a poor touching on gimmicky finish.

Rather surprisingly I have seen Druids in poor enough condition over the years.

How is MJ these days - have not been down in about 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

Played Mount Juliet in an open comp today, wasn't overly impressed to be honest, the greens were pretty amazing but I think the course is probably recovering a bit from the weather, there was a lot of grass on the fairways and it seemed a bit uncared for in spots. Having played it 5 or 6 times previously, I don't think I would be rushing back to play it again for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Myself and my wife have a deal for €185 for the 2 of us in Sept in MJ

2 x rounds golf
    1 X night accommodation
    2 X breakfasts
    some dining credits

Looking forward to it

Advertisement