Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle cameras

Options
  • 31-07-2018 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Anyone here got a camera on their bike, similar to a dashcam? Guy in the club has a rear facing one that doubles as a light but is about 140 sterling from what I remember with the front facing costing even more.

Are there cheaper versions out there that aren't rubbish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Depends on how long battery is needed. Cheaper general action camera ones are readily available fairly cheap, but will only last an hour and half to two hours. So fine for commuting, but maybe not if you go on long weekend spins.

The original cycliq fly 12 (front) and fly 6 (rear) have been available pretty cheap (for them) recently, as in less than half price. The fly 12 is €154 in chain reaction at the moment. It does double as a very decent light, which is how I justified it when it was on sale earlier in the year.

Rear sounds like the Cycliq Fly 6. They are about €75 on wiggle at the minute for the older version. The front ones Fly 12 go for twice that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Yeah I think it was a Cycliq.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I have the fly6 , prior version to the newer HD version. If were you I'd go for the HD version also mine struggles in low light or if there's any glare. The battery life is great, I do a 20min each way commute daily and I probably charge it once every 6/7 commute days.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 rivermansteve

Is there cameras you can buy. That you could use on both bikes and cars? would be handy.

• Advertisement

The GoPro's likely have mounts to cover you for both. Meant to look into that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I got a suction pad go pro mount years ago with that intention but never tested it. The action cam I had wouldn't record and charge, so the same issue.

Dashcams are so cheap now I'm not sure I'd bother to be honest.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Is there cameras you can buy. That you could use on both bikes and cars? would be handy.

Honestly it's not worth it. Good dashcams for cars are ones that are wired in and turn on with the ignition. I don't know of any action cameras that do this. Proper car dashcams also tend not to have proper batteries for recording while not plugged in, most just use a large capacitor instead I believe. And you don't want to have to fiddle with the camera when you get into a car, just turn on the ignition and go. Just to add to this, you can pickup very good dashcams for under 50 quid these days (Xiaomi Yi Dashcam).

As for what is the best camera for cycling, I think a GoPro Hero Session is worth considering. I would guess that the Hero 5 Session will drop in price in the near future, but the Hero 4 Session is still a good camera. They have cases with extended batteries that should make them good for hours of use at a time.

The older Cycliq cameras have very poor cameras imo. Poor at night, and not that great in ideal conditions. Although I do see the appeal of them with the battery life and light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I thought about one that would do the car too. I've thought about a dashcam but I don't really want to have to pull panels back to fit them. My car has those side airbags so I can't fiddle with the pillar down the side of the windscreen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Priorities for bike and car are totally different.

GoPro Sessions go for €90 second hand. Pair of them. 90mins - 2hrs. If you need more time for sunday Spins then things get bulky.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If they're shipped from Australia, any savings would be likely wiped out by the customs due on them. They may of course use a European distributor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭cletus

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/GOPRO-HERO-4-Session-Action-Camera-WiFi-Video-Photo-Camcorder-BRAND-NEW/323483344126?hash=item4b511c1cfe:g:FF8AAOSw69lbtuq2

If i can jump in here, gopro hero 4 for €24??

What am i missing, or should i buy with paypal and open a dispute if and when its not right

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

cletus wrote: »
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/GOPRO-HERO-4-Session-Action-Camera-WiFi-Video-Photo-Camcorder-BRAND-NEW/323483344126?hash=item4b511c1cfe:g:FF8AAOSw69lbtuq2

What am i missing, or should i buy with paypal and open a dispute if and when its not right

If it seems to good to be true... then it probably is.

That model camera still sells for well over a 100 these days. A seller with no real feedback offering a camera at a crazy low price doesn't make sense. I'd say the account was compromised and they are exploiting it to get as many buys as possible in a short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭cletus

My head told me something similar, Alanstrainor, but my impulse system is twitching madly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Ferris

I have a Joovuu-X camera which has good reviews and has about 1hr of battery life. It can also function as a dashcam.

https://www.joovuu-x.com/

It gives a good picture etc. and you can use an app to link to it via bluetooth. I have had a couple of issues with it - to be fair they are quite responsive regarding fixing it. I don't use a cover either, it seems somewhat splashproof. I use it on my handlebars with the mount kit. I also have a helmet mount but I haven't used it for that yet.

cletus wrote: »

And now that link is dead. Scamtastic. Hopefully everyone gets their money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

Does anyone have any experience with the latest Fly 6 camera? Amazon Link

It's got pretty poor reviews on Amazon and I can't find it on my usual online bicycle shop sites. My first gen one refused to switch on this morning after a mudguard-less soaking yesterday.

Or does anyone have any other recommendations for rear camera/light combo?

Advertisement