Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY help required - side gate content!

Options
  • 31-07-2018 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭

Im having a nightmare with my side gate here, i paid a fortune for a borg lock and spent about two days installing the bugger a year ago and now its jammed and needs to come out.

in the mean time i chucked the latch that was originally on the gate.

Two things i need advice one, one of the bolts securing the gate into the wall is loose now, looks like it was just screwed in with nothing to hold it, what do i need to secure this?

secondly can anyone advice where i could get a lock with handles on both sides that would fit this gate? wife wants its secure (as secure as this type of thing can be) and i would like it so i can get in and get out without undoing a padlock each time

TCf6kKg.jpg

Dierljn.jpg

E3OMBus.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Use a chemical anchor for the bolt. Google chemical anchor and you will see multiple brands. Around 10 quid.

That's a good lock, can you dismantle/confirm where its jammed.

Is it the keypad or the turn mechanism that's jammed?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Use a chemical anchor for the bolt. Google chemical anchor and you will see multiple brands. Around 10 quid.

That's a good lock, can you dismantle/confirm where its jammed.

Is it the keypad or the turn mechanism that's jammed?

turn mechanism

problem is getting it out when its jammed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

The screw that came out is a concrete screw and goes straight in to the block without a rawlplug. However, it won't hold properly if screwed into the mortar between the blocks, which is probably what happened in your case, so use chemical anchor as advised in post #2 or replace it with a rawlbolt of the same size. The rawlbolt will expand as you tighten it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭listermint

All the weight of the gate is resting on the lock barrel .

You need to anchor the gate to the wall so that is level and it's not relying on the barrel to carry it's load when closed.

The alternative is to put a metal support as the bottom of the receiver side of the gate which the gate can be supported on when closed.

Locks fine here. The gate weight is the problem

listermint wrote: »
    All the weight of the gate is resting on the lock barrel .

You need to anchor the gate to the wall so that is level and it's not relying on the barrel to carry it's load when closed.

The alternative is to put a metal support as the bottom of the receiver side of the gate which the gate can be supported on when closed.

Locks fine here. The gate weight is the problem

might look like that from the pic but the gate is anchored to the wall on both sides

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Have you oiled it lately

Have you oiled it lately

the key pad or the barrel? key pad yes barrel maybe not

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Oil everything with oil. Not wd40.

Oil everything with oil. Not wd40.

ok, what oil should i be looking for ( thats not wd40 :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Cyrus wrote: »
    ok, what oil should i be looking for ( thats not wd40 :D)

I find GT85 very good for lubing stuff thats exposed to the elements, Also white lithium spray grease is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Thought you never use oil on locks as it will pick up dust and dirt. Isnt dry lock lubricants supposed to be used unless lock has electronic or electrical parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Skatedude wrote: »
    Thought you never use oil on locks as it will pick up dust and dirt. Isnt dry lock lubricants supposed to be used unless lock has electronic or electrical parts?

You can use powdered graphite for internal locks but in this case the lock is outside and exposed to weather and water damage will seize a lock faster than dust in this climate.
    I haven't had any problems with using either of those lubricants on external locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Cyrus wrote: »
    might look like that from the pic but the gate is anchored to the wall on both sides

No you may confuse what im saying .

If the gate was anchored on both sides then it wouldn't open it would be a fence.

The gate has a hinge on one side and a lock the other . The receiver is anchored.

I'm assuming your gate has tilted slightly from the hinges putting strain on the barrel.

Is it just the hinges holding the weight ?if its hard to open the barrel then the barrel is holding some weight of the gate and hinges aren't taking the entire load or have shifted a bit

listermint wrote: »
    No you may confuse what im saying .

If the gate was anchored on both sides then it wouldn't open it would be a fence.

The gate has a hinge on one side and a lock the other . The receiver is anchored.

I'm assuming your gate has tilted slightly from the hinges putting strain on the barrel.

Is it just the hinges holding the weight ?if its hard to open the barrel then the barrel is holding some weight of the gate and hinges aren't taking the entire load or have shifted a bit

i dont think thats it, but ill check, thanks!

Advertisement