Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrauntoohil, do I need a guide?

Options
  • 31-07-2018 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

Never climbed Carrauntoohil before but planning on doing in on next weekend with a buddy. Do we need a guide or is it ok to navigate to the top ourselves? We will be doing the Devil’s Ladder route and would assume that on a Saturday morning there will be plenty others doing at same time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

Depends on your experience and fitness level. 
    Mountaineer who has qualified with mountain skills and has appropriate kit (detailed map and nav skills, proper clothing and hiking shoes etc etc)? No problem. 
    First time you've attempted to summit an Irish mountain, not able to navigate, no map... no, you aren't and you put the mountain rescue folk at risk because you are not prepared for problems - weather, falls etc.
    Also find a qualified guide and use common sense. Carrauntoohil can be very dangerous.
    image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

thank you. Both of us a pretty fit and and well prepared with proper gear. Plan is to set off from Lisleibane and take Devil Ladder and we will be taking it quite seriously (unlike that article you posted!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

If I was doing it and I hope to do in the next year or so and this is who I will get to assist. Takes the debate out of it and reduces the risks.

https://patfalvey.com/product/climb-carrauntoohil/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Never climbed Carrauntoohil before but planning on doing in on next weekend with a buddy. Do we need a guide or is it ok to navigate to the top ourselves? We will be doing the Devil’s Ladder route and would assume that on a Saturday morning there will be plenty others doing at same time.

Can you use a compass?

Can you use a compass?

I can and I have a map!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's definitely worth getting someone to show you the Heavenly Gates route, it's much more interesting than Devil's Ladder which is a bit of a miserable slog imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We went with a guide when we did it. In the scheme of the trip, it didn't add too much to the cost and no regrets. I can do basic navigation/ use a map and compass, and probably would've been ok, but it wasn't as well worn/ waymarked as you find in Wicklow (for example). I was happy enough to, literally, follow the leader. You also get some nice extra information/ stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I did Devils Ladder without a guide. It was straight forward as long as the weather's good and you have enough daylight. Head for Devils Ladder and once at the top head for the mountain top. Easy peasy

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

thegills wrote: »
    I did Devils Ladder without a guide. It was straight forward as long as the weather's good and you have enough daylight. Head for Devils Ladder and once at the top head for the mountain top. Easy peasy

In fairness the vast majority of accidents happen on the decent. In particular, making sure you take the correct initial bearing from the summit for your descent route is absolutely vital, but can be rather tricky in poor visibility.

Considering how the weather can change on the flip of a coin, having someone in your group with a map and compass and being able to use them is rather essential.

This is the best map available IMO: https://www.bookdepository.com/MacGillycuddys-Reeks-XT30/9781851376018

Firstly thank you all for your comments. We climbed Carrauntoohil on Saturday morning for first time. There were a lot of climbers at same time which I assume had something to do with it being a bank holiday weekend.

We arrived at Cronin's Yard at exactly 9am and it was already spilling over to its extra car parks and there was a great buzz about the place. Weather was overcast but very warm so was comfortable in hiking shorts and t-shirt. I packed a long sleeve top and light rain jacket as well as 2l of water, a fresh sandwich made at a local Centra, some snacks and a small first aid kit in my back pack which was quite manageable and we set off at around 9:20am taking the Devils Ladder route. No directions or maps needed as it is a straight walk from Cronin's and you really cannot miss the start of the ladder!

The Devils Ladder is tricky enough and probably a lot more challenging than I expected but we made it to the top and then there is a good hour from there to the summit. Unfortunately no views as top was completely cloud covered but the atmosphere up there was really great. There was a bunch of young lads that carried a full keg of home brewed stout to the top and served beers to everyone who wanted one.

We ate, rested and chatted to other climbers and then made our way down via the Devils Ladder which is again quite challenging on the way down as one misstep and your could be in serious bother. The hike from there back to Cronin’s seemed very long as we are quite tired and sore at this stage. We got back to Cronin's at exactly 5pm.

Two days later and my body is still aching but feeling very good about the accomplishment.

If we did it again and I think we will would definitely get a guide and do the longer more interesting routes avoiding Devils Ladder.

Anyone complicating this for first time just take it very seriously as it is quite challenging. How the guides can do this 3-4 times a week is beyond me!

Thanks again.

vxKU7J0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

The hydro track and Beenkeeragh ridge/loop would be a better route for next time. You'd want to be sure the weather is right for the ridge as the wind can make the steadiest of climbers nervous but no loss if it's very windy as you can carry on to summit carrauntoohil. It's much better than Devils ladder imo which is starting to resemble croagh patrick during the summer months although some would consider it the easier route.

Advertisement