Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a big piece of fabric (about 6x4 metres)

Options
  • 30-07-2018 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Anyone know where I could get a big piece of fabric? About 6x4 metres. Cotton or felt would be appropriate, anything will do as long as it's not too thin.

I have no experience with arts and crafts so I have zero idea where to look. It seems like something that wouldn't be sold in your typicals shops.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

6 metres long won't be a problem but afaik you'll have difficulty with 4 metres wide without joining two widths. Think upholstery fabric or curtain material or buying sheets you can join or curtains you can adapt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Mech1

buy your bits and find a sailmaker to put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

Maybe tell us what you intend to use it for,and we can maybe help you more?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I bought some upholstery fabric a few years ago that was 3 and a half metres wide - I don't know for sure, but I doubt you'd be able to find anything wider: like Corca Baiscinn mentioned you'll probably have to join two pieces together.

I don't know if they'd be thick enough for what you need them, but some cotton dust-sheets (the ones used to cover furniture when you paint) might be wide enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Don Tomasino

Phoenix3 wrote: »
    Maybe tell us what you intend to use it for,and we can maybe help you more?

It's for a green or blue screen backdrop for making special effects videos. like this:

greescreen-backdrop.jpeg
    New Home wrote: »
    I bought some upholstery fabric a few years ago that was 3 and a half metres wide - I don't know for sure, but I doubt you'd be able to find anything wider: like Corca Baiscinn mentioned you'll probably have to join two pieces together.

I don't know if they'd be thick enough for what you need them, but some cotton dust-sheets (the ones used to cover furniture when you paint) might be wide enough.

3.5m wide would be okay. Do you know where I could get that upholsyery fabric? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 plunkea

Ikea is the best for bigger sheets of fabric, I've found them useful for all craft projects, just be prepared to lift the rolls and cut your own fabric while there!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

My mistake, OP, apologies - the fabric I got (and that was the guts of 8 years ago) was only 280cm wide (i.e. "double width"), but I bought 340cm of it. However, it was patterned (peonies on light grey background) and I don't think they had anything that were just a block colour, like the green or blue you're looking for. Maybe give Hickey's a ring (see homefocus.ie) - I had a quick look at their website but I couldn't find anything very wide, however they might have something in their shops that doesn't show on their website. If you do a search on google for "fabric shops Ireland" you'll get quite a few options, some of them sell fabric 300cm wide (prices can be a bit steep, mind you), but again, maybe giving them a ring might prove fruitful. Failing that, you may have to resort to shopping online from abroad.

OP, this might come in handy, too. https://www.online-fabrics.co.uk/Wide-Width-Fabrics

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Don Tomasino

Thanks all. Very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Michael guineys-a lot cheaper then the likes of homefocus hockey fabrics etc

• Advertisement

Of course! I forgot all about it! :) Top floor opposite to where Boyers was, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's for a green or blue screen backdrop for making special effects videos. like this:

greescreen-backdrop.jpeg
    Best bet is to get a load of thinner rolls if they're cheaper and roughly join them with staples or even glue or something. Joins won't show up in your application once you don't create shadows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

New Home wrote: »
    Of course! I forgot all about it! :) Top floor opposite to where Boyers was, isn't it?
    Ohh you talking about dub? That sounds right...I know someone who works in the one in Waterford and they have a huge fabric dept there so that's all I know. She is always saying how much cheaper the stuff is there.

Advertisement