Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Wifi on Eir

Options
  • 30-07-2018 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭

Hi folks just wondering has anyone bought the Google Wifi on Eir? I currently have the F2000 but i have a lot of connections using my internet and was thinking of getting Google.

Anyone have any experience with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jones

So that's a no so :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

jones wrote: »
    Hi folks just wondering has anyone bought the Google Wifi on Eir? I currently have the F2000 but i have a lot of connections using my internet and was thinking of getting Google.

Anyone have any experience with it?

I don't have Google Wifi but just looked it up there out of curiousity. It's basically a trio of meshed wireless access points for serving a larger premises or a premises with wireless dark spots . (Basically one main router with two boosters but in a meshed setup)

Are a lot of your devices connecting over wifi and/or having wifi issues? If so you may see some benefit. If they're wired devices I would be highly doubtful you would see any difference. Check amazon for some reviews.

What issues are you having with your current setup?

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you have FTTH don't bother, it'll be a total arse to setup.

With FTTC you can do it but you'll need to keep the F2000 in bridge mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭digiman

ED E wrote: »
    If you have FTTH don't bother, it'll be a total arse to setup.

With FTTC you can do it but you'll need to keep the F2000 in bridge mode.

Dp you know if it's possible to add vlan 10 to the wan interface? Any idea on throughout through the Wan interface?

As much as everyone gives out about the wireless performance of the supplied F2000 at least you can get close to 1Gbs throughout with it. My own Netgear R7000 can only manage about 400Mbs or so when I connect it directly to the ONT so I've now got it connected to the F2000 instead.

Thats what I checked, the suggestion was to use a smart switch to do vlan stripping/modding which is not gonna be easy for most to setup nor physically tidy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Bridge mode is not recommended with Google WiFi. Most users will not require it. It creates more problems than it solves and can leave your network vulnerable to security issues. Just switch off WiFi on your F2000 and hardwire your primary Google WiFi hub to the F2000.

Google WiFi supports WiFi roaming between WiFi access points, which means that phones will always switch seamlessly to the strongest access point. This is a big advantage over traditional WiFi extenders, particularly for services like WiFi calling and VOIP.

https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6240987?hl=en&ref_topic=6246470

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭digiman

Google WiFi is almost 2 years old now, I wonder when they will be releasing an upgraded version?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

It would be nice if they integrated it into Google Home devices :-)

Bridge mode is not recommended with Google WiFi. Most users will not require it. It creates more problems than it solves and can leave your network vulnerable to security issues. Just switch off WiFi on your F2000 and hardwire your primary Google WiFi hub to the F2000.

Google WiFi supports WiFi roaming between WiFi access points, which means that phones will always switch seamlessly to the strongest access point. This is a big advantage over traditional WiFi extenders, particularly for services like WiFi calling and VOIP.

https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6240987?hl=en&ref_topic=6246470

Do you know what Google Wifi is???

Its designed to be end to end including routing not just an AP mesh. If you dont bridge your VDSL modem you'll end up with Double NAT or bypassing some of the features that you're paying significant cash for.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Skip the Google Wifi and grab yourself some Ubiquiti Unifi access points. If you've got Can't around the house to connect them, go further and ditch the F2000 and replace it with a Ubiquiti Edgerouter with PoE and power the access points centrally. Works great with FTTH, full speeds, supports VLAN10.

• Advertisement
Advertisement