Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Galway, the old road.

Options
  • 30-07-2018 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

On the trip to Galway I decided to take the old road, through all the towns, the slow road. I have to say, it was the most enjoyable driving experience I've had in years. Very little traffic, got to see and enjoy sights I haven't seen in years. Stopping off to explore forgotten little places.
    That's it, from now on when I need to be somewhere and I'm not pushed for time, it the old old road for me.

Comments

That's one of the benefits of the motorways, the old routes can become something more they were

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

stoneill wrote: »
    On the trip to Galway I decided to take the old road, through all the towns, the slow road. I have to say, it was the most enjoyable driving experience I've had in years. Very little traffic, got to see and enjoy sights I haven't seen in years. Stopping off to explore forgotten little places.
    That's it, from now on when I need to be somewhere and I'm not pushed for time, it the old old road for me.

Is this John Creedon? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

I hope that you made the traditional pit stop at Kinnegad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

My older relatives say they "like" the old road.

Maybe theres some nice things to see on them. Still not worth it for the speed, safety and fuel saving benefits from motorway use. Plenty of crap towns one still cant avoid like abbeyfeale where youd cry for a bypass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,551 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

have driven athlone to dublin a couple of times recently on the old road. so much nicer - albeit a couple of weeks ago the amount of turf spilt on it was quite remarkable - between athlone and enfield, we'd have filled several bags if we'd been so inclined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Have the HGVs stopped avoiding the tolled motorways? No way stuck behind a HGV on the old road is more enjoyable than the motorway.

Also I don't think many people enjoy the motorway anyway, it's just the quickest and safest route but boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

gammygils wrote: »
    Is this John Creedon? :pac:

I caught part of that show, I used to own that Cortina. Me and Jack Lynch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Was thinking about taking the old road Saturday evening after the Hurling match. But didn't regretfully. Motorway was like a carpark. I'll use the old road after the Final though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    I hope that you made the traditional pit stop at Kinnegad :)

Is Harrys still open? I imagine business went to pot when it was bypassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭bobbyss

gammygils wrote:
    Was thinking about taking the old road Saturday evening after the Hurling match. But didn't regretfully. Motorway was like a carpark. I'll use the old road after the Final though

A little optimistic there I think.

• Advertisement

This is just madness. The absolute state of the old roads (I sometimes get stuck with the slow bus to Dub), why anyone would put themselves through that is beyond me. Tractors, L drivers, grannys you name it. I like a good long drive but jaysus lads, goto Adare or something if sitting in traffic is your thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

The limits on it are 80km in parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Maybe theres some nice things to see on them. Still not worth it for the speed, safety and fuel saving benefits from motorway use. Plenty of crap towns one still cant avoid like abbeyfeale where youd cry for a bypass.

Bypass abbeyfeale/adare/Newcastle west by taking the coast road through foynes/tarbert/listowel

Would there be fuel savings long-distance? Surely going 80-90 will use a good bit less than about 120 most of the way? And in some cases the motorways are longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

A load of John Creedon bollix. Either an OP coincidence or directly influence by the diabolical TV muck. This particular series is 30 years too soon and even then it might not be too good. Our motorway network actually followed the "old roads" and has exits into these same old crappy little kips. Nearly all of them across the motorway network deserve to be bypassed. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

This is just madness. The absolute state of the old roads (I sometimes get stuck with the slow bus to Dub), why anyone would put themselves through that is beyond me. Tractors, L drivers, grannys you name it. I like a good long drive but jaysus lads, goto Adare or something if sitting in traffic is your thing.
    Because we don't all feel the need for speed all the time. Why do you need to get everywhere as quickly as possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Bypass abbeyfeale/adare/Newcastle west by taking the coast road through foynes/tarbert/listowel

How long does it take you to to get from Dublin to Galway when you use that route? The auld satnav would be blowing smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Its a nice idea but what would be a concern is these roads are where speed traps are located now, mostly where you're coming quickly into a 50km zone from a wide open road with an 80km limit. So easy to be hitting 57 or so km heading into one, 35 mph in a 30 zone in old money. Speaking from experience here done for that heading OUT of some town seeing the road widen up ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Jasus lads, calm down will yis...
    If you want to blast away on the motorway, by all means do so.
    The original intent of the thread is to remind people there is an alternative, slower pace and a lot more to see and do.
    So what if you get stuck behind a bus for a while, or there is a tractor in the way. That's the whole point, slow down, relax and trundle along.
    Forget the sat-nav, just pick a road and see where it goes, one little road took us to moss covered Meehambee Dolmen after a short forest walk.
    Well worth a visit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,551 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Grandeeod wrote: »
    A load of John Creedon bollix. Either an OP coincidence or directly influence by the diabolical TV muck. This particular series is 30 years too soon and even then it might not be too good. Our motorway network actually followed the "old roads" and has exits into these same old crappy little kips. Nearly all of them across the motorway network deserve to be bypassed. Good riddance.
    e31.jpg

• Advertisement

Its a nice idea but what would be a concern is these roads are where speed traps are located now, mostly where you're coming quickly into a 50km zone from a wide open road with an 80km limit. So easy to be hitting 57 or so km heading into one, 35 mph in a 30 zone in old money. Speaking from experience here done for that heading OUT of some town seeing the road widen up ahead.
    my advice would be that people who cannot stick to these speed limits should limit themselves to motorways so; or let someone else drive, who can.

Because we don't all feel the need for speed all the time. Why do you need to get everywhere as quickly as possible?

Safety too. Have you seen the amount of head on collisions on those old roads back in the day? The RSA did close to nothing to drop them despite their claims. Its is a direct result of Motorways

Try_harder wrote: »
    The limits on it are 80km in parts

All parts. When the motorway replaced them they suddenly became really dangerous and had to be dropped to 80km/h.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Plenty have been returned to 100km/h by the local council.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

L1011 wrote: »

certainly true around Cork and also some N road sections are at 120

L1011 wrote: »

Good to see that common sense exists somewhere in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Grandeeod wrote: »

Jeysus.Have a cigarette or something.

surely if you do want to drive at 100km/h, you'd use the bleeding motorway.

one road available - 100km/h.
    two roads available - one 120km/h, the other drops to 80. people complain about the 80.

surely if you do want to drive at 100km/h, you'd use the bleeding motorway.

one road available - 100km/h.
    two roads available - one 120km/h, the other drops to 80. people complain about the 80.

What changed to make the road only 80 though. If it used to safe to drive a busy road at 100 what makes the quieter one need to be 80?

If you don't want to drive at 100 on a road you don't have to, just don't hog the middle of the road or speed up on straights.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    If it used to safe to drive a busy road at 100 what makes the quieter one need to be 80?
    because safety is not a binary operation.
    it's not a case of either 'safe' or 'not safe'.
    we all know that those older national routes are not as safe as motorways, partly due to people pulling out of side roads and having to cross or join 100km/h traffic with no slip road to allow them to build up to the speed.

anyway, as there is now a 120km/h limit available nearby, you can make the older road safer by reducing the limit. i don't see how this is a controversial topic?

Advertisement