Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for courses for visitors from US

Options
  • 30-07-2018 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,339 ✭✭✭✭

Friends will be visiting Ireland next year. They're keen golfers, but will want to 'see the sights' as well. I'm looking for recommendations for them to the 'mustn't miss' golf courses. I assume the bulk of their time will be in the Dublin area and they're unlikely to have a car, but cabs are possible.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Igotadose wrote: »
    Friends will be visiting Ireland next year. They're keen golfers, but will want to 'see the sights' as well. I'm looking for recommendations for them to the 'mustn't miss' golf courses. I assume the bulk of their time will be in the Dublin area and they're unlikely to have a car, but cabs are possible.

Thanks

Portmarnock is probably the best course in Dublin. I don't play golf myself but a few of my friends rave about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

If theyre going to stay and play exclusively in Dublin, theyll need to be prepared to pay, especially for the 'musnt miss' courses!

Portmarnock and The Island are the 2 best links courses, although The Links at portmarnock hotel is also v nice and a lot cheaper than its better known relation. Quality parkland courses include Hermitage, Luttrellstown, Castleknock and plenty more. But, imo, for real quality and certainly value, the best courses to visit are outside of the capital!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,339 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

If theyre going to stay and play exclusively in Dublin, theyll need to be prepared to pay, especially for the 'musnt miss' courses!

Portmarnock and The Island are the 2 best links courses, although The Links at portmarnock hotel is also v nice and a lot cheaper than its better known relation. Quality parkland courses include Hermitage, Luttrellstown, Castleknock and plenty more. But, imo, for real quality and certainly value, the best courses to visit are outside of the capital!

Can you recommend which courses to visit outside the capital?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭davegilly

Close to Dublin are the K Club, Palmerstown House and Carton House. All fantastic parkland courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭El festino

Some suggested tours here which will give you good ideas.
    http://www.linksofireland.com/tours/4580023204

Generally for US visitors, imo links courses are a must. We have world renowned links courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Sure, assuming money no object! Premium parkland courses would include the k club in straffan, druids glen in wicklow, mt juliet in kilkenny and the ultra swanky adare in Limerick. Concra wood in monaghon, dromoland in clare, lough erne in fermanagh, slieve russel in cavan..list is endless, but theyre some of the best!

If its links theyre after and they can travel,theyl be in heaven. On the east coast youve got aforementioned courses in dublin, as well as the european club in wicklow to the south, and a host of beauties to the North; baltray in co louth then, moving up to Ulster , the much lauded royal county down. Continuing up and around in an anticlockwise direction, youve got portstewart and royal portrush where the british open will be held in 2019. Moving to donegal, youve got ballyliffin, rosapenna, murvagh, portsalon, nairn and portnoo and several others. Out west youve got carne, sligo, strandhill and enniscrone, then to the southwest theres lahinch, ballybunion, tralee and waterville. And if they really want to splash out, they could finish up by playing the spectaculas Old Head in Kinsale!

Am sure Ive left a bunch more out, but that should keep em going!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

European Club in Wicklow if they are good golfers. Portmarnock Links (the hotel course) is often over looked but is a quality track. Baltray / Co. Louth is good as well. It would be good to get them put with members as Links golf can be pricey

Thanks for all the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

Where in Dublin are they going to base themselves? All of Portmarnock, Portmarnock Links, The Island, Royal Dublin would be reasonable in a taxi from say the city centre. Anything else links wise would involve a lot of effort on their part without a car and for it to be reasonable to get there via public transport and a taxi. As they're Americans I've assumed they're looking at only links courses... In fairness the 4 links courses I've outlined above are all pretty stellar courses in their own right but especially considering their proximity to the city centre. If they're really interested in getting some links golf in they should consider getting a driver and minibus for the few days, it can work out pretty reasonable if done right.

Where in Dublin are they going to base themselves? .

Don't know yet, but thanks for the recommendation. Minibus might be the thing they need.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Bang on, Portmarnock (food included with green fees), The Island and then either Portmarnock Links or Royal Dublin in that order and all doable in a taxi...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Played in the atlantic coast challenge a few weeks ago over three days which is enniscrone, carne and rosses point (sligo).

I couldn't recommend each of these three courses enough! However Carne was extremely tough for us (too tough!), I couldn't imagine it with the wind up!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Thanks
    I think you should ask them if they want links or parkland (or both). If they are keen golfers they will know the difference. Most serious golfers coming to Ireland want to play links because it is not something they get at home. That said, I've seen American golfers walk off both the European and Lahinch because they were just too tough so they are not for high handicappers, especially in bad weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Their budget comes into it too. If they have deep pockets then Portmarnock, the Island or Royal Dublin are hard to miss.

If they want a cheaper links experience there is Rush, Sutton, St Annes, Laytown or even Corballis

• Registered Users Posts: 6 brinock1980

Baltray is one of the finest courses I've ever played....enjoyed every minute...not a long drive from Dublin at all....also Palmerstown house just before Naas is a super course.

Advertisement