Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden shed sides wet inside

Options
  • 30-07-2018 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Just moved in to new house and put tools in garden shed. During heavy rain on Saturday I noticed the inside of the sides were wet all the way up on the exposed sides, as if they were absorbing rain water.

I need to store tools and equipment in the shed so it needs to be dry.

Any ideas how I can make it stay dry? It's a rented house and the shed isn't mine so I can't replace it.

It's made from overlap wood.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Czhornet

Felt wrap around or some tyvek moisture barrier (like whats used when roofing houses) would help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

What type of shed - timber or block built?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

wait4me wrote: »
    What type of shed - timber or block built?

Timber overlap with a felted roof

Czhornet wrote: »
    Felt wrap around or some tyvek moisture barrier (like whats used when roofing houses) would help

I'm thinking of stapling clear plastic sheeting to the outside - what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Czhornet

Carnmore wrote: »
    I'm thinking of stapling clear plastic sheeting to the outside - what do you think?

probably would be OK if done tightly, if the wind gets in under it it will tear it very easily though unless its a heavy gauge plastic. It would be a quick solution to be fair.

• Advertisement

Can you stick up a picture of the affected wall, inside and out?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Would you not just paint the exposed faces with something to resist soaking of the timbers?

Lumen wrote: »
    Would you not just paint the exposed faces with something to resist soaking of the timbers?
    Like creosote which is oil based?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Creosote is illegal for domestic use, for good reason. Plus, it's not your shed and if I was the landlord I've take the cost of a replacement shed out of your deposit (because I'd have to rip it out to avoid being sued when subsequent tenants get cancer).

Some kind of wax or urethane-based product, I'd have thought.

This is not a recommendation, but this sort of thing.

https://sadolin.ie/finish/shed-fence/

Lumen wrote: »

Creosote is illegal for domestic use, for good reason. Plus, it's not your shed and if I was the landlord I've take the cost of a replacement shed out of your deposit (because I'd have to rip it out to avoid being sued when subsequent tenants get cancer).

Some kind of wax or urethane-based product, I'd have thought.

This is not a recommendation, but this sort of thing.

https://sadolin.ie/finish/shed-fence/

I meant 'creocote' which is a legal creosote substitute

• Advertisement
Advertisement