Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for a January holiday near Malaga

Options
  • 29-07-2018 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭

We are flying to Malaga for a week in the second half of January. We’ve been before for a long weekend and stayed in Malaga itself which we loved. This time we want to go somewhere else as we feel a week in a city that we’ve already seen may be too long. We’re happy to go within an hour of Malaga airport and would like a nice town on the coast that will have some bit of life in it in January. We’re considering Nerja but OH is a bit concerned that it might be too hilly for me as I’m just getting back on my feet so to speak after a major knee surgery. Has anyone been or does anyone have any other suggestions / recommendations? We like to stay in reasonably nice accommodation and are open to either hotel or apartment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Weather-wise I would say Head East towards the costa de almeria. Sunniest and driest area of Europe. So good for a January trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Cork Lass wrote: »
    We are flying to Malaga for a week in the second half of January. We’ve been before for a long weekend and stayed in Malaga itself which we loved. This time we want to go somewhere else as we feel a week in a city that we’ve already seen may be too long. We’re happy to go within an hour of Malaga airport and would like a nice town on the coast that will have some bit of life in it in January. We’re considering Nerja but OH is a bit concerned that it might be too hilly for me as I’m just getting back on my feet so to speak after a major knee surgery. Has anyone been or does anyone have any other suggestions / recommendations? We like to stay in reasonably nice accommodation and are open to either hotel or apartment.
    The livlier places are to the west of Malaga -Torremolinos, Marbella etc. But January is low season so you might need more than beaches and bars.

Going the other way you have places like Almunecar which is pleasant but nothing special. At that time of year you will find more to do in Malaga than anywhere else on that coast

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Weather-wise I would say Head East towards the costa de almeria. Sunniest and driest area of Europe. So good for a January trip.
    Nice area but you won't get there in an hour from Malaga Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Estepona ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

First Up wrote:
    Nice area but you won't get there in an hour from Malaga Airport

True. Closer to 2. Depends if weather is a factor. Which it usually is when heading to Spain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Weather is obviously a factor to some extent but we appreciate it won’t be sunbathing weather. It would be nice to be able to walk on the beach and have a meal or drink sitting outside. I have looked at Marbella and Estepona but feel they might be a bit too “sunshine resort” for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

La Cala.

Still has a small town feel. Lovely beach. Handy for everywhere you might want to visit.

25 minutes from the airport if you’re hiring a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I wouldn't call Estepona sunshine resort, there are resorts between there and Marbella which are described as Estepona, but are not in the town itself. I lived near there for over 4 years, we didn't go there much at first as we dismissed it, but the town centre is actually gorgeous and most restaurants there will still be open in January. Of course the weather can be changeable. I would recommend driving up to Casares, but walking around there might be difficult if mobility is an issue.
    It's a little further than an hour, but would recommend Tarifa, then again if it is windy it might not be so enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Casares is beautiful.

Advertisement