Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office 365 free for teachers

Options
  • 29-07-2018 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Hi, I was of the opinion from here that teachers and students are entitled to Microsoft Office free. Great. However I'm having trouble downloading and installing the software and I'm not sure what the problem is. Has anyone made use of this offer before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You could try libreoffice :

https://www.libreoffice.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 78,325 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is your school registered with them? Do you have a school email address?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Hi gctest, I wasn’t aware of that before, I must have a look into it.

Victor, I have a school email address which I’ve used to sign up. We don’t use it in school if that’s what you’re asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Tis the devils work.
    Google stuff is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Tis the devils work.
    Google stuff is better.

I think that's the "between a rock and a hard place" argument! :pac:

Double check the FAQ at the bottom of this page;

https://products.office.com/en/student/office-in-education

• Advertisement

verycool wrote: »
    I think that's the "between a rock and a hard place" argument! :pac:

Double check the FAQ at the bottom of this page;

https://products.office.com/en/student/office-in-education

They're worse than drug dealers - here, have some stuff - we charge everyone else but you get it for free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

Ah lads I couldn't be without MS Word :pac:

'office'
    Nuf said

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Somebody working during the holidays. Tut tut.

• Advertisement

Wishful thinking Postgrad :pac: Just trying to access Word but having no luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Currently using word to type something myself, and it's not for school ( for a change:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Hi gctest, I wasn’t aware of that before, I must have a look into it.

Victor, I have a school email address which I’ve used to sign up. We don’t use it in school if that’s what you’re asking?

Is your school email address "mrsmurphyteacher@gmail.com" or jmurphy@holyghostschool.ie?
    Having an email address for school purposes but on a private/free system isn't accepted as a school email address by most companies.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Is your school email address "mrsmurphyteacher@gmail.com" or jmurphy@holyghostschool.ie?
    Having an email address for school purposes but on a private/free system isn't accepted as a school email address by most companies.

No it’s teacher@school.ie which is why I can’t figure out why it’s not working. Not sure if the fact that I’m using a Mac is part of the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

. Not sure if the fact that I’m using a Mac is part of the problem?

This will let you get on with it in the meantime :

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/?type=mac-x86_64&version=6.0

being a mac you can just uninstall it again easily without having to sell your soul or smth

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I just use Open Office and save as .doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I think it's only "free" if your school has a MS account.

I think it's only "free" if your school has a MS account.

Ah! Therein lies my problem! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Microsoft (and probably Google, too) offer educators their online office products gratis, because they can mine all kinds of useful information about teachers and students from the data you store on they're servers.
    M$ is an evil company. Always has been, always will.

Get Librroffice instead. It runs locally on your own computer, and you can encrypt any data you "upload to the cloud" for backup purposes so it doesn't automatically strip you and your students of privacy and turn all of you into consumers to be sold to rather than office software users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,325 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Heebie wrote: »
    Microsoft (and probably Google, too) offer educators their online office products gratis, because they can mine all kinds of useful information about teachers and students from the data you store on they're servers.
    M$ is an evil company. Always has been, always will.
    Just don't upload stuff.

Victor wrote: »
    Just don't upload stuff.

Just using email is uploading stuff.
    It's all moving to cloud based storage anyhow.
    But I suppose there's no such thing as a free lunch.
    Is it ok to use meta data without GDPR consent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Jaysis, I thought MY tinfoil hat was bad! :pac:

For those of you complaining about M$ or Google, do you still have a Twitter or Facebook account? Even LinkedIn? Because if this is the case, I wouldn't say you're in a great position to argue privacy policies / personal data protection.

Do you use Firefox instead of Chrome? Tor? VPN?
    Do you use password managers and 2FA?
    Do you use an adblocker (ublock origin) / decentraleyes / privacy possum / https everywhere / multi account container addons?

I think we're I'm getting away from the point here.

I know certain third level institutions like Trinity use Google as their backend, whereas Maynooth use Office 365.

You can still create an office account and use the web versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Albeit with limited functionality (for example, you can't create a multi column document in Word Online).

EDIT: If you still want Office functionality / compatibility you can download and install Libre Office (which can read, edit and save files in .docx .xlsx .pptx formats).

verycool wrote: »

I know certain third level institutions like Trinity use Google as their backend, whereas Maynooth use Office 365.

You can still create an office account and use the web versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Albeit with limited functionality (for example, you can't create a multi column document in Word Online).

EDIT: If you still want Office functionality / compatibility you can download and install Libre Office (which can read, edit and save files in .docx .xlsx .pptx formats).

THanks for the reply! My school doesn’t use MS so don’t think I’ll be entitled to the free version and I’m not a huge fan of their online versions. I’ll have a look at some of the free programs mentioned here, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Victor wrote:
    Just don't upload stuff.

I'd you edit it with office 365, they have a copy of every revision.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

THanks for the reply! My school doesn’t use MS so don’t think I’ll be entitled to the free version and I’m not a huge fan of their online versions. I’ll have a look at some of the free programs mentioned here, cheers!

Really, you won't notice any difference (unless you are a very advanced user) between Libreoffice, Open Office and Office.
    You will wonder why anyone bothers paying.

https://www.howtogeek.com/187663/openoffice-vs.-libreoffice-whats-the-difference-and-which-should-you-use/

Advertisement