Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gc shall remain nameless

Options
  • 28-07-2018 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭

I had an experience today.

Firstly I need to start off with this. The course is in fantastic shape. Greens run superbly and I found the course more challenging than I would like to admit.

As I drove in I noticed the "7 day membership" rate going in as something like 700 quid. Come January I may be looking for a new club (current club is impossible to get out on in short notice and with a little lad it's impossible for me to forward plan by more than a few days) anyways, I digress.

Unfortunately, the day was abysmal. The club had stacked the time sheet so tightly that it bottlenecked. It took us (a 2 ball) roughly 4 hours to play 13 holes.
    It was no one on the courses fault. There was no slow play (that we could see) it was just waiting for the greens to clear. At one point on a par 5 we were on the tee box,a group were on the green and there were 2 groups between us.

We walked off frustrated on 14, my playing partner said this was not the first time he has experienced this at this club and we were both in agreement that even though the course was great (obviously maintained immaculately) we won't be returning any time soon.

How they maintain a membership base is beyond me. We couldn't get into any kind of groove and spent most of the day standing around our bags waiting.

How is your home club for a) getting a tee time last minute at the weekend and b) filling the time sheet without saturating the field?

Or am I over reacting? As an aside - there is an argument to be made for long playing times contributing to the general decline in participation in golf. Had I of brought a newcomer to the course today they would never play again imo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,136 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

What par is the first hole and what is the gap between groups?

Some courses, in an effort to get more bodies out onto the course have crazy small gaps between lines on the sheet.
    You really want 10 mins between 3 balls or you just end up on top of each other, especially if its a non members comp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Perhaps a bit of an overreaction based on one day? I'm guessing you played on a Saturday, in which case many clubs have societies playing that day and they tend to be slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

GreeBo wrote: »
    What par is the first hole and what is the gap between groups?

Some courses, in an effort to get more bodies out onto the course have crazy small gaps between lines on the sheet.
    You really want 10 mins between 3 balls or you just end up on top of each other, especially if its a non members comp.

Par 4 1st....there were 2 groups on the first waiting for the 2 ball in front.... Who were waiting on the 3 ball in front of them.

It doesn't appear as though there was any management of the schedule... When we walked off we walked along the 18th...3 groups on it (one on the tee waiting)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

HighLine wrote: »
    Perhaps a bit of an overreaction based on one day? I'm guessing you played on a Saturday, in which case many clubs have societies playing that day and they tend to be slow.

4 hours for 13 holes? I am basing it off one day but my playing partner is basing it off at least two.
    Should have nearly the course done after 4 hours no? We were on track for completion in almost 6 hours.
    That to me is crazy.

4 hours for 13 holes? I am basing it off one day but my playing partner is basing it off at least two.
    Should have nearly the course done after 4 hours no? We were on track for completion in almost 6 hours.
    That to me is crazy.

Oh totally agree, 4 hours for 13 holes is crazy. In my course, I usually play the full round in 4 hours or less each week however, there can be an odd Saturday when the course has a few societies out in the morning and they tend to slow up play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,136 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Par 4 1st....there were 2 groups on the first waiting for the 2 ball in front.... Who were waiting on the 3 ball in front of them.

It doesn't appear as though there was any management of the schedule... When we walked off we walked along the 18th...3 groups on it (one on the tee waiting)

Interestingly enough, groups going off early can cause just as much issue as groups going off late.

You really just need a starter who gets people out on the button and if you are late then you dont get out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

GreeBo wrote: »
    Interestingly enough, groups going off early can cause just as much issue as groups going off late.

You really just need a starter who gets people out on the button and if you are late then you dont get out!

Agree. If societies are left to them selves to tee off then it will be bedlam. A starter is needed to get things off and started promptly.

Most clubs are starved of cash and tend to pack in the societies and green fees at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I had an experience today.

Firstly I need to start off with this. The course is in fantastic shape. Greens run superbly and I found the course more challenging than I would like to admit.

As I drove in I noticed the "7 day membership" rate going in as something like 700 quid. Come January I may be looking for a new club (current club is impossible to get out on in short notice and with a little lad it's impossible for me to forward plan by more than a few days) anyways, I digress.

Unfortunately, the day was abysmal. The club had stacked the time sheet so tightly that it bottlenecked. It took us (a 2 ball) roughly 4 hours to play 13 holes.
    It was no one on the courses fault. There was no slow play (that we could see) it was just waiting for the greens to clear. At one point on a par 5 we were on the tee box,a group were on the green and there were 2 groups between us.

We walked off frustrated on 14, my playing partner said this was not the first time he has experienced this at this club and we were both in agreement that even though the course was great (obviously maintained immaculately) we won't be returning any time soon.

How they maintain a membership base is beyond me. We couldn't get into any kind of groove and spent most of the day standing around our bags waiting.

How is your home club for a) getting a tee time last minute at the weekend and b) filling the time sheet without saturating the field?

Or am I over reacting? As an aside - there is an argument to be made for long playing times contributing to the general decline in participation in golf. Had I of brought a newcomer to the course today they would never play again imo.

Happened me once in elmgreen. 6 holes in 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭Trampas

6 holes 2 hours 13 holes 4 holes.

I’d be well gone in if that was me.

Pace of play is killing clubs.

Some people try to fit family life into golf and it’s long enough as it is without crazy pace of play

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I'm not a fan of clubs who pile high the societies on weekends. It would never be a club I would want to join as my main club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

It's funny this we have one thread where the future of golf is in trouble and another where we are complaining about packed golf courses.

Society golf what ever your opinion are maybe now one of the biggest source's of revenue for golf clubs.
    They have to be tolerated.
    I like that our comps are in the morning and for the afternoon they can let the societies out.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Skyfloater

Seve OB wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of clubs who pile high the societies on weekends. It would never be a club I would want to join as my main club.

This was one of the reasons why I gave up membership in Bray. They used to have a two hour slot for societies on a Saturday, between that and a €25 green fee most days made me question why I was paying €1000 plus membership.

mike12 wrote: »
    It's funny this we have one thread where the future of golf is in trouble and another where we are complaining about packed golf courses.

Society golf what ever your opinion are maybe now one of the biggest source's of revenue for golf clubs.
    I like that our comps are in the morning and for the afternoon they can let the societies out.

I like that we have the whole day on Saturday boxed off to allow members to play at a time that suits them. We pay more than enough for the privilege.

I like that we have the whole day on Saturday boxed off to allow members to play at a time that suits them. We pay more than enough for the privilege.

Lucky your club is in a financial position to do so. As Mike noted above, many clubs rely on the additional revenue from societies and green fees on the weekends. Perhaps your annual subscription reflects that.

I can guarantee you that if my home club proposed to get rid of societies and green fees on a Saturday morning and instead raise the sub by x amount, members would not be happy campers.

HighLine wrote: »
    Lucky your club is in a financial position to do so. As Mike noted above, many clubs rely on the additional revenue from societies and green fees on the weekends. Perhaps your annual subscription reflects that.

I can guarantee you that if my home club proposed to get rid of societies and green fees on a Saturday morning and instead raise the sub by x amount, members would not be happy campers.

I'm a member of 2 clubs. Both are the same sub for full members and not cheap.
    My home club has very few societies out on it as a whole, the other (which ironically is nearer my home :) )has way to many, restricted member comps as a result and nearly never any room on the sheet for when I do look to play.
    both course it has to be said are kept in pristine condition although I do think my home club is probably a grade above. away club is busy, lots of members, but still want societies and as many as they can get. its not a members club and this is the problem. public bar and restaurant are generally quite busy to. i don't scrutinise the accounts but ive no doubt they are doing quite well.

you get what you pay for, and as a golfer, im happy to pay a bit extra for a well kept course and a good selection of available tee times for competitions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

mike12 wrote: »

As a members club, the members won’t tolerate society’s taken up weekend tee times so we have very few out at the weekend and it’s less then 5% of our income as 80% of income comes from membership subs and I personally expect to be able to play when I want, when I pay x sub. The members control the timesheet, for me this is very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

I'm a member of 2 clubs. Both are the same sub for full members and not cheap.
    My home club has very few societies out on it as a whole, the other (which ironically is nearer my home :) )has way to many, restricted member comps as a result and nearly never any room on the sheet for when I do look to play.
    both course it has to be said are kept in pristine condition although I do think my home club is probably a grade above. away club is busy, lots of members, but still want societies and as many as they can get. its not a members club and this is the problem. public bar and restaurant are generally quite busy to. i don't scrutinise the accounts but ive no doubt they are doing quite well.

you get what you pay for, and as a golfer, im happy to pay a bit extra for a well kept course and a good selection of available tee times for competitions
    Seve, you are being a bit dramatic there on Castleknock and you seem to think Greystones is the Augusta of Wicklow, it really isn't. It's a decent parkland.

I have never once not got a time on a Saturday or Sunday morning since I joined, what times are you trying to play that you can't get? I find it grand.

I do wish there was no societies the same as you obviously but I understand it's necessary. I don't think we would be members there without them ironically! They could not afford to offer the membership category that we are in without getting revenue from societies.

Good scalp for you in the fourball on Sunday well done :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Depends on the size of the membership, personally I don't like play in the comp anytime, much rather the field have to be out from first light to x time.
    Makes it easier on everyone and everyone play's in much the same weather.

Most people like to play early I think it's irresponsible to have a course almost empty on a Saturday afternoon because it would upset a small % of the membership.
    If the course is busy then no need but not the case at a lot of clubs.

Advertisement