Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cash & Carry

Options
  • 28-07-2018 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

Can the general public shop in Cash & Carry stores?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Great bargain, bought 12.

(No generally the general public can’t go into cash and carry’s)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Great bargain, bought 12.

(No generally the general public can’t go into cash and carry’s)

What are the criteria to get access, would I need a Vat no?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,187 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

OmegaGene wrote: »
    You need a vat number or know someone that will lend you their card or access number, I go to musgraves all the time
    Some good bargains can be found
    So the general public can go into a cash and carry if you know how

Just out if interest can you give me an example of an offer.
    Some say they are great and others say they're not so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭123654789

Its not great tbh.

Some pricing examples are here

Watch out for VAT as its not applied to some products but not included in all the prices where its due

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Seanachai wrote:
    What are the criteria to get access, would I need a Vat no?

You usually need two references from other wholesalers to prove that you are actually in business. A new business would have to send in a cover letter explaining your business, possibly a letter from your accountant & your Company Registration Office certificate. Just about anything you can think of to win yours case.

Just because you are genuinely in business they still might refuse your application. Let's say that you have an electrical contractor business. They'd ask themselves what would he be buying from us to do with his business. Hair salon is another that's likely to be refused. Musgraves was always one of the most difficult to get in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

Why don't wholesalers sell directly to the public ?

Why do wholesalers care who buys from them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

OmegaGene wrote:
    Prices for musgraves are on the website People go in for the first time and grab everything they normally buy wholesale and forget it’s not all cheap and luxury goods have vat to be added, pricing is clearly labelled in musgraves wether it’s vat a b or c

100 percent agree. Some things you'll find cheaper in Dunnes. Exact same name brand. You need to know your prices before you go in. There's good deals & bad deals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Depends what you want, I go there for vat exempt food like chicken breast xxl (120grams) breasts x 25 for €26 and that’s the full breast without the goujon removed.
    I get 1kg of smoked rashers there for €9
    Frozen prawns are another thing I buy but can’t thik of the price
    Fillet steak is also good I pick up the full fillet and bag it at home

Prices for musgraves are on the website
    People go in for the first time and grab everything they normally buy wholesale and forget it’s not all cheap and luxury goods have vat to be added, pricing is clearly labelled in musgraves wether it’s vat a b or c

Normal supermarket and butchers prices.

That's 8.66 per kg for chicken.
    Tesco have chicken fillets for about 7 euro per kg.
    Must be they same price in other supermarkets and butchers.

And rashers start at 4 euros per kg. Even brand names are about 9 or 10 per kg.

So no saving

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,060 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Musgraves have terrible pricing. Go to a smaller cash & carry. Where are you based?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Moved to Requests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,187 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think this thread should become the generally Cash & Carry thread to let people know about good deals!

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Don't think so.
    Most people don't have access to a Cash & Carry so would be of no use to them.
    If you include the VAT, most items are dearer than what you can get them for
    in a supermarket.
    Very few bargains to be had.

Advertisement