Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance after returning from abroad

Options
  • 28-07-2018 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I moved away from ireland to holland as a kid because of my dads job. I went to school there uni and first job. Ive been back in ireland for 5 years now and am sick of the poor public transport, so much against my wishes I am now getting a car.

As I have never been insured in ireland before (i was previously in holland) insurers are refusing to quote me. The one or two that will are charging me 6K for a year!

WHAT THE ACTUAL &&^&&&^^&&**(*(*&^%^

This has to be illegal surely? What about free movement of people? A car is a necessity and refusing to insure people (which a 6k quote in effect is) has to be a form of preventing people to be able to live in ireland. AND im irish ffs

/rant

Is there anything I can do?
    Thanks for any advice offered as I can't afford 6k a year and still pretend to myself that the money im saving will some day go towards a place to live.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well you got a quote like it or not, what vehicle was it for. No point in trying to get cover for anything that's beyond shopping trolley status. Did you use a broker or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 -=Shamrock=-

I tried 5 insurers - only 1 gave me a quote the rest refused. Have sent my details in to a broker just now.

It was an 8 year old banger of an Audi A2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone in your situation should take the broker route. I was uninsured for 7 years and my previous 20 odd years counted for nothing when I went back to car ownership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Your first years insurance is going to be high, have you a full licence? can you put a partner or family member on as a named driver? What size engine has the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

without no claims bonus, 4000 to 6000 if you can get a quote, and get your full license first if you haven't already.
    Earning your own no claims only real way to bring the costs down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement