Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendations would be great

• 28-07-2018 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

I've recently taken up membership in a Dublin based gym and although i do love the whole process of getting fitter and feeling better about my appearance for the first time in recent memory i kinda feel like i want to push the boat out further than cardio and lifting weights. It was suggested to me by my partner that maybe looking around for some form of activity outside of gym as an extra element to my continued buzz of feeling better about myself.

So the reason behind my long drawn out post is to get recommendations from others on here with regards to possibly finding a fun but challenging that would be suitable for an absolute novice.

Any recommendations are welcome, cheers for taken the time to read this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭cletus

From a completely biased viewpoint, I would recommend Brazilian jiu jitsu above everything else (with the possible exception of mma).

Being more objective, however, I would suggest that pick an area that you're willing to travel in, whether that's a 10 mile radius, no further than 30 mins etc, find out what clubs fall in that area, and try loads, if not all. Most clubs will offer first class free to beginners, and many may have a beginners programme. See what you like, what suits your life re. work schedules and go with that

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

cletus wrote: »
    From a completely biased viewpoint, I would recommend Brazilian jiu jitsu above everything else (with the possible exception of mma).

Being more objective, however, I would suggest that pick an area that you're willing to travel in, whether that's a 10 mile radius, no further than 30 mins etc, find out what clubs fall in that area, and try loads, if not all. Most clubs will offer first class free to beginners, and many may have a beginners programme. See what you like, what suits your life re. work schedules and go with that

Bjj was actually my first consideration, a few people from home swore over it, was looking at various places in Dublin and there seems to be a decent selection around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cletus wrote: »

^^^

This.

Personally I enjoy Judo & BJJ but like the above advice when I'm asked about martial arts I always recommend someone visit a few places and different styles.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Also worth considering expenses too. I was pretty shocked when i went to my first trial BJJ class, loved it, and asked how much it was only to be told 70 euro per month (and the same club is now 110 per month i believe). I still signed up, but yeah i would factor in that too. BJJ/MMA is not cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Krav Maga looks insanely cool and it's probably the most practical martial art.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Kickboxing is my therapy. If you're based around Tallaght I can recommend a club.

Advertisement