Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real estate agent’s unprofessional behaviour (or just a norm?)

Options
  • 28-07-2018 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello everyone,
    I just wanted to check if this is expected or unprofessional behaviour from the agent that is showing the apartment.
    First encounter: the apartment was offered at 400k, went to see it, thought it was OK, offered 365k (around 10% less) by mail. There was no reply from the solicitor. I figured that the offer was too low and that they had higher ones but still not sure why he didn’t reply.
    Second encounter: the apartment is back on the market, now asking price being 365k !!?? Now I offered 365k by mail, again no reply from the agent.
    I know that he’s checking mail because I’m getting confirmation when I ask for the viewing.
    I’m not local and for me, this is very unprofessional and shady behaviour but then again, maybe I’m missing something.
    Any advice on what I should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Squatman

DinaDaRi wrote: »
    Hello everyone,
    I just wanted to check if this is expected or unprofessional behaviour from the agent that is showing the apartment.
    First encounter: the apartment was offered at 400k, went to see it, thought it was OK, offered 365k (around 10% less) by mail. There was no reply from the solicitor. I figured that the offer was too low and that they had higher ones but still not sure why he didn’t reply.
    Second encounter: the apartment is back on the market, now asking price being 365k !!?? Now I offered 365k by mail, again no reply from the agent.
    I know that he’s checking mail because I’m getting confirmation when I ask for the viewing.
    I’m not local and for me, this is very unprofessional and shady behaviour but then again, maybe I’m missing something.
    Any advice on what I should do?

As with anything if your serious about it youll pick up the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Pick up the phone and call, offer proof that you are ready to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DinaDaRi

Thanks Squatman, my concern is that e-mail offers written trace of all negotiations while via phone it's not the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Just for a 3rd opinion, pick up the phone if you really want it.
    When I was involved in a sales role (financial services) I replied to emails saying yeah sure I'd be interested in talking to you, give me a call on 086xxxxxxx or I'd call them myself but wouldn't get involved in emailing to and fro. Same with texting when I was selling cars.

Emails don't work for everything it's the equivalent of tyre kicking in the digital age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

DinaDaRi wrote: »
    Thanks Squatman, my concern is that e-mail offers written trace of all negotiations while via phone it's not the case?

And how's that working out for you so far?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Just send an email after each phone call noting the contents and agreements of the call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I always rang with the offer first and then followed up with an e mail saying as per phone conversation I'm offering x amount on property y.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

You need to be a lot more proactive. I would send an email and immediately follow up by a phone call to ensure my offer has been received. It's the biggest purchase you are going to make in your life, sending and email and forgetting about it is not taking it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

I would echo what everyone else is saying. Call him, put in your offer verbally and email after with confirmation. If you have ever sold anything even something small on done deal, loads of people might email or text and it goes nowhere. Serious people will call so I don’t even bother reply to texts or emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Does anyone use a phone anymore?

• Advertisement
Advertisement