Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulate a West/South West facing room

Options
  • 27-07-2018 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hi,

I know this has been discussed before (maybe in different ways though) but just want to get some feedback/advice please.

I have a converted garage in above aspect at side of house. Dimensions are 8 ft * 17.5 ft with standard height walls. A large window to front and also a smaller side window. A rad. on the internal facing wall.

The issue is with heat retention - the room which was planned to be used as an office/play area is just too cold in the winter time.

I had to raise the floor years ago so it was flush with other floors and I really didn't do a proper job underneath the floor boards re: insulation at the time - could this also be an issue - would I need to be looking at pulling up floor also?

What I'm thinking of is dry lining the external facing walls and am looking for recommended products; how easy they are to apply; tips etc.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Most heat is lost through the Ceiling, Windows and Walls.
    Have you Insulated above the Ceiling.?
    Even if you have I'd still pull down the Ceiling and replace with 72 mm insulated slabs.
    Don't make the mistake of slabbing over whats there.

Is the Windows Double glazed or single. If single I'd replace and use low E glass or better.

Is the Walls Cavity Block or Solid Block.

You could insulate on the inside using 50mm Board. You would lose 2 to 3 inches off the room width, But you would hardly notice it when done.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Thanks sky6. Have provided answers to your reply.
    sky6 wrote: »
    Most heat is lost through the Ceiling, Windows and Walls.
    Have you Insulated above the Ceiling.? A. Yes, it's been insulated.
    Even if you have I'd still pull down the Ceiling and replace with 72 mm insulated slabs.
    Don't make the mistake of slabbing over whats there.

Is the Windows Double glazed or single. If single I'd replace and use low E glass or better. A. Both windows are Double Glazed

Is the Walls Cavity Block or Solid Block.A. Solid Block with insulation in between.

You could insulate on the inside using 50mm Board. You would lose 2 to 3 inches off the room width, But you would hardly notice it when done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Flat concrete roof or A roof?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

So it's a Cavity Wall you have.

Why not just get the Cavity filled. That would make a big difference also.

You said you also have a large Cavity under the Floor. Is there Vents in the Wall under the floor. This would also let a lot of cold air into the room.

Replacing the Ceiling and filling the Wall Cavity will make a massive difference to the room.

Flat concrete roof or A roof?

A Roof.

• Advertisement

Hi sky6, there's no vents at floor level. Was thinking of cavity fill also but I'm noticing alot go for the insulated board now.

Yes you could go with either. Depending on what's on the outside, you might have to strip back to sand and cement, As it's important that the Wall can breath.

Advertisement