Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First insurance

Options
  • 27-07-2018 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

I have been quoted €2,500 for my first insurance on a 1.4 litre with a full licence.

It's comprehensive which happens to be the cheapest option through First Ireland which is a broker and I don't know what insurance company is offering it.

I'm in North Dublin and am wondering if I can do any better than that?

What prices have you been quoted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Get quotes everywhere, both from brokers and directly from insurers websites.

Try adding a family member to the policy and see if it brings it down.

There is no one single insurer that will be your answer. Spend an hour, two or even three, but you might find something cheaper. Well worth the effort.

First policy always is expensive, but with full license you might find better deal elsewhere.

What age are you OP? Few of my friends have got quotes from boxymo which supposedly insure 17-25 yr olds and give cheaper insurance on the basis that they put a box in your car to monitor your driving (ensuring you aren't speeding and I think the quote is cheaper if you drive less than a certain amount of kms per month). Haven't used it myself but could be worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭homosapien91

Shop around every insurance company but I paid the same for my first insurance on a 1.2 litre car. Boxy Mo is another option as mentioned but depends if your comfortable having the box fitted, I myself didn't like to idea so I just forked out. Depends on the age of your car also. Am now on my third year of insurance and it has gone down considerably now I am driving a newer car even with a bigger engine ( 1.6 litre )

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KBD85

Shop around every insurance company but I paid the same for my first insurance on a 1.2 litre car. Boxy Mo is another option as mentioned but depends if your comfortable having the box fitted, I myself didn't like to idea so I just forked out. Depends on the age of your car also. Am now on my third year of insurance and it has gone down considerably now I am driving a newer car even with a bigger engine ( 1.6 litre )

Would you mind me asking how much your insurance is now so I can get an idea of how much it goes down in the 3rd year?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭homosapien91

Sure, I'm paying €1400 now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

KBD85 wrote: »
    Would you mind me asking how much your insurance is now so I can get an idea of how much it goes down in the 3rd year?

mind you, my retired book keeper mother pays 1400, down from 2000+ a year or two ago, full clean licence with never any points. The average seems to work out at about a grand after a few years of no claims bonus. Some pay a bit more, others a bit less.

Advertisement