Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm in the market for a new tablet....

Options
  • 26-07-2018 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭

My nexus 7 has finally given up the ghost after 4 years, and as such, I find myself in the market for a new tablet.

Must be android.
    Kids are going to be using it along with the wife.
    Will only be used for a light bit of browsing, YouTube/Netflix and Facebook occasionally.

Camera not important.

Have been thinking of going for one of the amazon fire tablets, I see argos are doing some for what seems like a good enough deal.

The new Samsung looks good, but I think complete overkill both specs and money for my needs.

Anyone any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭leche solara

Fires are full of Amazon stuff that they want you to pay for. very annoying. Also doesn't come with play store but you can get it. Version of Android too hobbled for my liking

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Fires are full of Amazon stuff that they want you to pay for. very annoying. Also doesn't come with play store but you can get it. Version of Android too hobbled for my liking

I am already a prime subscriber, so I am guessing that I may be able to get customer care to disable any annoying ads.

Spec wise, how are they for the money?

I was also looking at a 10" Bush one, think it was going for 130, seems to get fairly decent reviews on argos.UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭breeno

I am already a prime subscriber, so I am guessing that I may be able to get customer care to disable any annoying ads.

I was also looking at a 10" Bush one, think it was going for 130, seems to get fairly decent reviews on argos.UK?
    I had an 8 inch amazon fire hd which almost ticked all the boxes but was just too slow for everyday use and was lucky not to fly against the wall. I sold it on for a small loss after a week and got a second hand ipad mini. Ipad is genuinely the way to go for tablets. Android is all but dead on tablets. The next attempt seems to be chrome os on a tablet, maybe have a look at one of those? Think acer has just launched one.

I got one of my kids the 10" Bush one for his birthday, and I have to say it's great. It has a full HD screen, which is pretty rare in that price bracket, and performance seems pretty good.

Only downsides for me is that it is quite bulky compared to some other tablets, and it seems quite slow to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

breeno wrote: »
    I had an 8 inch amazon fire hd which almost ticked all the boxes but was just too slow for everyday use and was lucky not to fly against the wall. I sold it on for a small loss after a week and got a second hand ipad mini. Ipad is genuinely the way to go for tablets. Android is all but dead on tablets. The next attempt seems to be chrome os on a tablet, maybe have a look at one of those? Think acer has just launched one.

Ipad is great but doesnt run Kodi and similar apps

We have one these...great value good spec

Huawei M3 10" (there are 8" variations also with different spec)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0723B9F8C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Basil3 wrote: »
    I got one of my kids the 10" Bush one for his birthday, and I have to say it's great. It has a full HD screen, which is pretty rare in that price bracket, and performance seems pretty good.

Only downsides for me is that it is quite bulky compared to some other tablets, and it seems quite slow to charge.

I have the same tablet, 10" Full HD with 2gb ram. Really great with the HDMI out to hook it up to your big screen TV to use certain apps full screen.

Advertisement