Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting - how far is too far?

Options
  • 26-07-2018 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

Hello just a bit of advice regarding commuting. I have an interview for a school that is at least 1 hour 30 away - it would be good roads but I think the commute would be too far and add CP hours/PTM/JCT etc. What are your opinions? I'm thinking of cancelling as there is still a month to go before the return to school and schools closer may be advertising after the bank holiday weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

Hello just a bit of advice regarding commuting. I have an interview for a school that is at least 1 hour 30 away - it would be good roads but I think the commute would be too far and add CP hours/PTM/JCT etc. What are your opinions? I'm thinking of cancelling as there is still a month to go before the return to school and schools closer may be advertising after the bank holiday weekend.

It really depends on how many hours the job is advertised for. Accepting a job for under 22hrs would consume a lot of your time and pay in terms of transportation costs.

1hr 30mins is quite a lot and it's something I may not feel comfortable with myself. Ask yourself the following,

1) what's the school like?
    2) Is there a chance of permanency there?
    3) how much would you be spending on petrol/diesel a week?
    4) how much would you be earning a week, taking hours and payscale into account etc.
    5) would the commute be manageable/what time do I have to get up at etc.
    6) will it be dark driving home in the evening after burreaucratic cp hours etc?

You probably see yourself asking the same questions. You could always wait and apply for other jobs and if something closer comes up then you could always decline that job. You mightn't think that's it's fair on school etc but it happens all the time and works both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Sir123 wrote: »
    It really depends on how many hours the job is advertised for. Accepting a job for under 22hrs would consume a lot of your time and pay in terms of transportation costs.

1hr 30mins is quite a lot and it's something I may not feel comfortable with myself. Ask yourself the following,

1) what's the school like?
    2) Is there a chance of permanency there?
    3) how much would you be spending on petrol/diesel a week?
    4) how much would you be earning a week, taking hours and payscale into account etc.
    5) would the commute be manageable/what time do I have to get up at etc.
    6) will it be dark driving home in the evening after burreaucratic cp hours etc?

You probably see yourself asking the same questions. You could always wait and apply for other jobs and if something closer comes up then you could always decline which you mightn't think is fair but it happens all the time.

Yes these are the questions I have been asking myself all week. It is 22 hours. I have a job for 11 hours already but would like myself with something better than than as it has a commute as well but a school I have worked in previously. I'm well used to a commute but never really had anything more than an hour and that is enough TBH. I have an in demand subject and have never been out of work so that's not bothering me but the 22 hours is on my mind a lot. I was covering a long term sick leave in a school since Christmas and I loved it - I also don't know what's happening here but would jump at it if subbing comes up again (even the sick leave). I know I'm in a better position as I already have something lined up so I can be choosy.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

Yes these are the questions I have been asking myself all week. It is 22 hours. I have a job for 11 hours already but would like myself with something better than than as it has a commute as well but a school I have worked in previously. I'm well used to a commute but never really had anything more than an hour and that is enough TBH. I have an in demand subject and have never been out of work so that's not bothering me but the 22 hours is on my mind a lot. I was covering a long term sick leave in a school since Christmas and I loved it - I also don't know what's happening here but would jump at it if subbing comes up again (even the sick leave). I know I'm in a better position as I already have something lined up so I can be choosy.

If it's a school you have worked in previously and liked it then you have nothing to lose. It's good to have something lined up already but if it's an in demand subject then I can't see why you shouldn't be on 22 hours.

I would say go for the interview anyway and see what happens. Meanwhile jobs will start to filter through in the next few weeks and you may have another interview or two to attend. It's good to have options. It's a bit strange that an in demand subject has been advertised for 11 hours, unless it is job share of course.

I now see schools adding additional hours to job share contracts, especially for in demand subjects, so as to attract individuals to the job. Your school would understand you declining the 11hr job for 22hr if it comes to that.

Sir123 wrote: »
    If it's a school you have worked in previously and liked it then you have nothing to lose. It's good to have something lined up already but if it's an in demand subject then I can't see why you shouldn't be on 22 hours.

I would say go for the interview anyway and see what happens. Meanwhile jobs will start to filter through in the next few weeks and you may have another interview or two to attend. It's good to have options. It's a bit strange that an in demand subject has been advertised for 11 hours, unless it is job share of course.

I now see schools adding additional hours to job share contracts, especially for in demand subjects, so as to attract individuals to the job. Your school would understand you declining the 11hr job for 22hr if it comes to that.

PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

3 hours a day commuting is far too much . Less hours in a school nearby , with a chance of subbing would be a lot better choice for your quality of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Was in the same predicament two years ago. Went with the shorter contract with subbing and closer to home. I did the long commute previously and I was constantly exhausted. Your health and having energy is a lot more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭doc_17

I worked in a school that was 5 mins from the door but a tough enough place to work in. I was let go 9 years ago when the PTR was cut and got a job that requires a 1hr 10 min commute. But this school is far handier to work in. I had the chance 6 years ago to transfer back and didn’t take it. I regret nothing.

3 hours a day commuting is far too much . Less hours in a school nearby , with a chance of subbing would be a lot better choice for your quality of life.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking but it is full hours but it is early yet so will wait and see.

doc_17 wrote: »
    I worked in a school that was 5 mins from the door but a tough enough place to work in. I was let go 9 years ago when the PTR was cut and got a job that requires a 1hr 10 min commute. But this school is far handier to work in. I had the chance 6 years ago to transfer back and didn’t take it. I regret nothing.

Yeah I worked in the local school and would never do it again. No escape from school. A commute is far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

An hour and a half both ways means three hours of driving a day and that's 5 days a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Moving accommodation an option?

Even an Airbnb might be cheaper than running the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

I'd definitely go for interview anyway. Even if you get something closer you can turn it down. I was in the same predicament as you but school that closer was full hours. I really loved teaching in other school which was an ETB school but other teachers were upfront and said all that was really offered to PT teachers by that particular ETB were low hour contracts, job shares or subbing.

Advertisement