Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi battery problem

Options
  • 26-07-2018 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Well lads,

So I've had the xiaomi mi 5 for a year and a half now. Brilliant phone and has never given me any issues until now. The battery has probably been progressively getting worse over time but it was still very good until now. At the weekend just gone my phone started just shutting off when it was at 10%. Everyday it's been getting worse, yesterday it started just shutting off at around 40%, and this morning it just shut off at 60%. I first started noticing problems about a week or 2 ago as whenever i turned my phone on it lost about 20% within a minute before going back to normal. Also I can't get more than an hour or 2 of use before it needing to be charged again.

Has this happened to anybody else? Or does anyone know what it could be?

I updated to the latest version of miui around when the problems started occurring. It was just a beta version I think and looking up about this lots of people are also facing this problem after updating their miui so it could be that. I also dropped my phone a couple times a few weeks back and the back panel had started lifting up and it also cracked, and I took off the back panel all together because of how bad the crack was. Maybe this could have caused it? Or maybe my battery is just finished:pac:

So anybody else experience this or know how it can be fixed?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

could it be a loose connection , if it shuts off at 40% .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭corkie

Battery degraded?

Have you considered replacing the battery.

Are you comfortable with dismantling the phone your self?

Original NOHON Battery BM22 For Xiaomi Mi5 Mi 5 Replacement Battery 2910mAh 3000mAh High Capacity Phone Batteries Retail Package

If not comfortable replacing the battery yourself, maybe ask a phone repair shop to do it for you. Depending on the store, you may need to get the replacement yourself.

Edit: - Back cover is also available from here.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭biebiebie

This is probably a long shot, but it won't cost any money to try it first.

Google "bump charge" and see if that makes any difference.

Might help recalibrate your battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BannerBoy1

could it be a loose connection , if it shuts off at 40% .

It varies on what percentage it shuts down on, sometimes it could go under 20 but rarely and other times it shuts down just over 40
    corkie wrote: »
    Battery degraded?

Have you considered replacing the battery.

Are you comfortable with dismantling the phone your self?

Original NOHON Battery BM22 For Xiaomi Mi5 Mi 5 Replacement Battery 2910mAh 3000mAh High Capacity Phone Batteries Retail Package

If not comfortable replacing the battery yourself, maybe ask a phone repair shop to do it for you. Depending on the store, you may need to get the replacement yourself.

Edit: - Back cover is also available from here.

Yeah i'm inclined to think the battery needs replacing. I've only had the phone for a year and a half but I do use it a lot. Albeit it all seems to have been a very sudden decline. Its that a usual sign that it's the battery and not a software problem/lose connection?

Also thanks very much for the link for the back cover, I was about to ask about that also:), just wondering but is that site known to be reliable?
    biebiebie wrote: »
    This is probably a long shot, but it won't cost any money to try it first.

Google "bump charge" and see if that makes any difference.

Might help recalibrate your battery.

I'm after getting a battery health test app and a battery calibration app and if they don't do anything i'll give a go at this. Worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭corkie

@BannerBoy1

Just saw some else recommend the site in a post somewhere (here or reddit) and the name stuck in my head. Haven't used them myself. Another option would be to source it of aliexpress.

As for Nohon batteries, I got one for my Kenzo around the end of February and is going fine since.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BannerBoy1

Just on this issue, it's definitely a battery problem anyway! I waited to update my phone just in case it was a software issue but it's still just been constantly getting worse and now shuts off when it's just over 90%.

@corkie thanks for the recommendations I'll have a look at those sites now, will ask others too just to be sure.

Advertisement