Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Sink Slow to Drain

Options
  • 26-07-2018 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

My apologies for what might be a really simple question but I'm afraid I'm clueless when it comes to DIY matters. Right now when water is flowing into the kitchen sink it fills up, despite no plug being inserted and it's very slow to empty.

I'm wondering if this is likely to be an issue with the pipes or a drainage issue outside? Do I call a plumber or a drains company?

Comments

Hi Folks,

My apologies for what might be a really simple question but I'm afraid I'm clueless when it comes to DIY matters. Right now when water is flowing into the kitchen sink it fills up, despite no plug being inserted and it's very slow to empty.

I'm wondering if this is likely to be an issue with the pipes or a drainage issue outside? Do I call a plumber or a drains company?

Buy a plunger or a bottle of sink unblocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Plunger and drain cleaner. Also, how far does the waste go? Is your sink in an apartment or does it just flow on a short run outside to a drain?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Buy a plunger or a bottle of sink unblocker.
    Effects wrote: »
    Plunger and drain cleaner. Also, how far does the waste go? Is your sink in an apartment or does it just flow on a short run outside to a drain?

We've done both of these numerous times and it helps but then quickly backs up again. It's in a house so easy enough access to pipework.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,897 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I had this in my kitchen, the genius that fitted the sink when the kitchen was done hadn't put enough of a fall in the pipework (in fact it actually had a teeny rise at one point :rolleyes:) so it gummed up with gunk. Got gradually worse over the years, even using plungers and drain cleaners wasn't sorting it. I even took to dismantling it myself occasionally and scraping it out.

Solution in the end was a plumber who rejigged the whole thing underneath and ensured there was enough of a fall that nothing built up over the long term. Working perfectly since.

You could also have a look at where the pipework drains into outside - there could be a build-up of grease/junk at the shore which is backing the whole thing up back to the sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Have a look at the fall on the pipe. If there is a sag, it might be easy enough to brace it up. IANAP.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement