Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gel Nails

Options
  • 25-07-2018 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭

Now my nails are in bits. I used to have lovely long nails, very strong, and great hair. I think its the menopause ruining it all. My nails are flaking, ripping,bending, crumbling, peeling, and I cannot get them past my fingertips.

I did a bit of research, and I don't like the sound of acrylics, as they have to file down the surface of the nail, and I would rather keep as much of my natural nail as possible.

Are gels a slightly softer option? Or will my natural nails be just as ruined? Will my nails have a chance to recover underneath?

I have a collection of about 200 hundred :D:D polishes, and I would love for my nails to look as gorgeous as they once did!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

I would say the gel nails are fine once you take them off properly so that you do no damage to the nail plate. Never pick at the colour! Use pure acetone soaks or one of the paint on removers you can get from Amazon. On the matter of the menopause being the cause - it could well be. My hair was falling out in handfuls due to the menopause so I twisted my doctors arm to give me another merina implant and that stopped that problem. You could consider it for your nails.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Recliner

My nails got destroyed by gels. In the end it was an incompetent tech who finished me with them. But to be honest, they were in bad shape even before she got at them.
    I've used glue on nails now for over a year and I've never had any problems.
    Just my 2 cents, but I'd be un-inclined to reccomend gels.
    I've never tried Shellac, would that be a better option I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dragona

Well! I've been having my nails gelled. I ask for clear, no colour or design so I can paint them myself. It's working out quite expensive as they have to be dome every three weeks

But I now have nails I can paint any colour I want!

I have been taking Starpowa multi vitamins for the last 4 months, hoping it would help with the hair loss. Can't really say I've seen much difference though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

I find shellac fantastic, it not only makes my nails look better but it helps them grow too as acts like a strengthener on nails to protect from damage. I get 3 weeks out of them these days. Okay, they don’t have as an impressive colour selection as the pure gel polishes like Gelish etc but I’ll always find something I like.

I think it important that you go to a reputable place with the proper shellac removal method and good ultraviolet lamps to seal them too when getting them done as I’ve been to other salons and got them done only for them to chip 3 days later. Where I go now have a lamp that kinda curves around so all my nails are being cured by the uv light and no chipping at all.

The other thing I like about them is if I’m stuck they are easy enough to take off at home with some pure acetone unlike the gel polishes. I try to get them done on salon though as what they use definitely gentler.

Advertisement