Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NQT optios for september

Options
  • 25-07-2018 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭

Hello there, I am a first time poster here but find the threads very informative. Anyway I am NQT just gone in June there, I have applied for three jobs but as of yet have not got an interview. I was thinking of throwing out a few CVs into local schools to get some subbing work if I dont get anything. what do people think of this idea, would it be ok to go into schools in August and give cvs and tell them to text me if there stuck any day?

I will be definitly goin back to the school I did my teacher training in two years ago. i got on really well there and the deputy is always asking for me through other teachers and said to keep in contact so that sound promising, i got on really well there and loved the students,staff and overall environment. I also heard on the grapevine that i was well thought of. My other school i was in last year was nice too, although slightly tougher , but got on really well with 99% of students and again got a great review from the deputy who basically said he would love to have me subbing at least in september,
    Now the only thing is its extremely local, too local to be honest its only 4 miles away and in my local town so I meet students out in take aways , local shops etc. Its begun to get a little tiresome. So i think i will try local schools withing 20 miles. i mean im not bothering going to far for very part time work. have you guys any other advice? please and thanks. please no grammer Nazi. just getting my question out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Dickie10 wrote: »
    Hello there, I am a first time poster here but find the threads very informative. Anyway I am NQT just gone in June there, I have applied for three jobs but as of yet have not got an interview. I was thinking of throwing out a few CVs into local schools to get some subbing work if I dont get anything. what do people think of this idea, would it be ok to go into schools in August and give cvs and tell them to text me if there stuck any day?

I will be definitly goin back to the school I did my teacher training in two years ago. i got on really well there and the deputy is always asking for me through other teachers and said to keep in contact so that sound promising, i got on really well there and loved the students,staff and overall environment. I also heard on the grapevine that i was well thought of. My other school i was in last year was nice too, although slightly tougher , but got on really well with 99% of students and again got a great review from the deputy who basically said he would love to have me subbing at least in september,
    Now the only thing is its extremely local, too local to be honest its only 4 miles away and in my local town so I meet students out in take aways , local shops etc. Its begun to get a little tiresome. So i think i will try local schools withing 20 miles. i mean im not bothering going to far for very part time work. have you guys any other advice? please and thanks. please no grammer Nazi. just getting my question out

I hope that comment isn't for me :) although you have found the caps button - only joking.

Firstly it is only July yet so the schools and principals are usually on holidays - next month will be a busy month and you will probably get called to some interviews. It could even go into September so don't panic yet.

If you don't get any work - yes I would recommend visiting schools you are interested in working in - I would leave it for a week or two into the term though as they will be busy. Ask to speak to the deputy (probably the person who organises the subbing) or the principal - if they are busy - make an appointment - putting a face to a CV has paid off me anyway.

Yes working in your home town is fantastic for commuting in the morning but you will have to be a hermit as you will always see students and will have no life outside of school - I did it and I'm still seeing students. I loved the 'Saw you in the supermarket Sir' in the middle of class :)

I think I have answered your queries - best of luck with the job hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Not being critical but you will need to apply for a lot more than three jobs before you get a position. Good luck to you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yeah i think ill put in cvs for most jobs even if i dont want them. its the experience of an interview i want

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

yeah i think ill put in cvs for most jobs even if i dont want them. its the experience of an interview i want

Why would you apply for a job that you don't want?? The quicker you get a job the better for yourself. You'll have plenty of interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Apply to as many as you can. The more interview experience you get the better. I was travelling from Cork to Dublin and further for interviews my first year out as well as sending out CVs to most schools in my city. It all paid off. When applying for jobs try to tailor your cover letter to the school you're applying to and not just sending a generic one. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Make sure any letters of application are free from spelling errors.
    You might be surprised how many are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

spurious wrote: »
    Make sure any letters of application are free from spelling errors.
    You might be surprised how many are not.

I've seen applications with a cover letter meant for another school, applications with no contact details, if you are in the East of the country there should be sub / part-time work, the panel was cleared in the Dublin Diocese in May this year, usually that wouldn't happen till August.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You've applied for 3 jobs?Seriously?My first summer out, I applied for hundreds!And as to "jobs you don't want," can you afford to be that fussy first year out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

To be fair there's unlikely to be that many History/Geography jobs to apply for! And OP is a farmer so probably limited to a certain area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Dickie10

where did i mention i was a farmer?! ; ) . ah just wondering about subbing really, thats my original question, do i just put out cvs and call into schools? think i prob will be doing something on those lines. subbing within a 20 mile radius would prob suit down to the ground really. all the better if a job comes along in the next few years nearby

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

where did i mention i was a farmer?! ; ) . ah just wondering about subbing really, thats my original question, do i just put out cvs and call into schools? think i prob will be doing something on those lines. subbing within a 20 mile radius would prob suit down to the ground really. all the better if a job comes along in the next few years nearby

Yes, but I reckon it'll still be calm enough at the start of August. Panic time would be last week in August/Start of September with people signing up to a few schools and then taking the best offer, or else jumping ship. That would be the best time to walk in off the street with CV in hand. Although... it depends on how in-demand your subject is.
    Meantime just keep applying away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

You have posted here lots of times including about being a farmer.

I think you should keep applying to all jobs that come up that are in any way feasible in terms of distance. But if nothing comes up go around to schools. A lot of schools though use what they call "super subs" and have them come in every morning to cover whatever is needed, no matter what subjects. Some days they're left sitting around but on the other hand they get all available subbing. It leaves people with other commitments like childcare at a disadvantage though if they can't commit to this ad hoc arrangement with no promise of work. But this is how all the schools in my former ETB and other schools in my area work. They onky advertise for positions longer than 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Off topic but I am a NQT in search of my first job this September. Just got my teaching council registration back and they have registered me to teach Geography instead of History.

Not quite sure how this happened, I went through the fast track route with my college and we all filled out subject specific forms back in May. Theu were for either History, English or Music coupled with Religion. No geography.

Will this be a big thing to get changed? The mistake is certainly on their behalf. I'm assuming it will take weeks to get it right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Yeah they'll change it for it for you straight away. Now that I remember when I was registering the put me down for history , and no , I'm not a history teacher:)! All done with the click of button and my teaching council number didn't change.

Advertisement