Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleiible Flue

Options
  • 25-07-2018 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question for the professionals on here.
    When installing a 5'' stainless steel flexible flue inside a standard block chimney with 8'' clay/terracotta flue liners does it have to be insulated i.e. wrapped in foil backed insulation or filled around with vermiculate or similar product. The flue will be connected to stainless steel rigid flue pipe form indoor non condensing type oil boiler (kerosene oil). Total height of chimney is 14' Thanks.

M.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

From Grant euroflame mi
    if an existing chimney is used,it must be lined with a suitable liner for use with fuel oil.The top and bottom of the annular space must be sealed and may be fitted with with a suitable insulating material to reduce cooling of the flue gases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭monseiur

agusta wrote: »
    From Grant euroflame mi
    if an existing chimney is used,it must be lined with a suitable liner for use with fuel oil.The top and bottom of the annular space must be sealed and may be fitted with with a suitable insulating material to reduce cooling of the flue gases

Thanks Agusta, greatly appreciated. I guess the word ''may'' means that's it's optional. I'll fit it to be on the safe side, being the belt & braces type !!

M.

Yes optional,is this an old boiler your moving to a different location

Yes optional,is this an old boiler your moving to a different location

Hi Agusta,

It's a Firebird Super Q , (it's a standard non condensing type) when fitted originally by the plumber 14 years ago, there was no flexible flue fitted - the flue pipe from the boiler was fed into the breast of the chimney and sealed around with mortar. It's in an utility room and the chimney with standard 8'' flue liners was purpose built for it. (The only reason 8'' clay flues were fitted is that they were left over due to design change elsewhere in the house ! )
    Due to damage caused by condensation in the chimney I have to fit a flexible flue (which should have been fitted from day 1) so I want to do it right this time - hence my question re. lagging flue etc.
    The boiler originally came with a length of stainless steel flue 125mm tapered off and reduced to 70mm approx. at the other end. The plumber never used this flue - he just fitted 125mm 45 degree bend and a short length of pipe into the chimney. I plan to have 125mm from boiler to 125mm flexible flue - is this OK or should I use the flue supplied which is reduced to 70mm approx. and fit a flexible flue to suit - if indeed such is available.

Thanks again.

M.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

monseiur wrote: »
    Hi Agusta,

It's a Firebird Super Q , (it's a standard non condensing type) when fitted originally by the plumber 14 years ago, there was no flexible flue fitted - the flue pipe from the boiler was fed into the breast of the chimney and sealed around with mortar. It's in an utility room and the chimney with standard 8'' flue liners was purpose built for it. (The only reason 8'' clay flues were fitted is that they were left over due to design change elsewhere in the house ! )
    Due to damage caused by condensation in the chimney I have to fit a flexible flue (which should have been fitted from day 1) so I want to do it right this time - hence my question re. lagging flue etc.
    The boiler originally came with a length of stainless steel flue 125mm tapered off and reduced to 70mm approx. at the other end. The plumber never used this flue - he just fitted 125mm 45 degree bend and a short length of pipe into the chimney. I plan to have 125mm from boiler to 125mm flexible flue - is this OK or should I use the flue supplied which is reduced to 70mm approx. and fit a flexible flue to suit - if indeed such is available.

Thanks again.

M.

Do you have an option to fit a low level (horizontal) flue?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement

Wearb wrote: »
    Do you have an option to fit a low level (horizontal) flue?

Hi Wearb,
    I don't have that option, besides the chimney was purposely built to avoid a low level flue / balanced flue etc. as neighbours have them and they invariably rust and soot gunk etc. run down the wall after a few years use - I guess the close proximity to the sea doesn't help in this regard.
    The chimney is ideal for the job - I just want to fit the correct size flue etc. and do it right this time. Just wondering if the tapered flue (from 125 to 70mm approx.) that was supplied with the boiler was intended for a balanced / low level type flue ?

M.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Hi Wearb,
    I don't have that option, besides the chimney was purposely built to avoid a low level flue / balanced flue etc. as neighbours have them and

they invariably rust and soot gunk etc. run down the wall after a few years use
    That is rare in my experience, unless the boiler has been neglected.

- I guess the close proximity to the sea doesn't help in this regard.
    The chimney is ideal for the job - I just want to fit the correct size flue etc. and do it right this time. Just wondering if the tapered flue (from 125 to 70mm approx.) that was supplied with the boiler was intended for a balanced / low level type flue ?
    Balanced and low level are sort of different things. What you mention could be a balanced flue or an insulated regular low level one one.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭jimf

that sounds more like a reduction adaptor 5"x3"

if the outlet from the boiler is 125mm I would continue with that with no reduction

you could end up restricting the flugas emissions from the boiler

Hi Agusta,

Thanks again.

M.
    I doubt if firebird supplied a 125mm taper off and reduced to 70mm flue. The boiler you have is very inefficient.In my opinion you would be better off upgrading to a high efficiency boiler rather than be trying to put a flue on a inefficient boiler. potential 20 to 30 percent saving in oil

I doubt if firebird supplied a 125mm taper off and reduced to 70mm flue. The boiler you have is very inefficient.In my opinion you would be better off upgrading to a high efficiency boiler rather than be trying to put a flue on a inefficient boiler. potential 20 to 30 percent saving in oil

sensible reply from a fella just back from the swans :P:P:P:P

• Advertisement

at least im allowed out!

at least im allowed out!

I am as well 29 th feb :D:D:D

Advertisement