Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower with missing tile dangerous?

Options
  • 25-07-2018 3:08pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A wall of my shower has rotted away and a large tile has fallen out and smashed, leaving a hole at the back of the shower. It's apparently a problem endemic in the apartment block and will take some time to fix as the Landlord/estate agents are going through insurance for all the apartments, floors will have to be replaced too it seems and the whole wall gutted. It's been like that for weeks at this stage and it's getting really annoying to not be able to use the shower or wash properly at home.

My questions is is it dangerous to use if I tried? I can point the water away from the hole but it could get splash-back drops. It's not an electric shower and the head is mounted on the wall, able to rotate. I see one wire through the hole, a yellow/green earth one that is heading up towards the shower head area. I'm not sure if anything else electrical would be back there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭KaneToad

A wall of my shower has rotted away and a large tile has fallen out and smashed, leaving a hole at the back of the shower. It's apparently a problem endemic in the apartment block and will take some time to fix as the Landlord/estate agents are going through insurance for all the apartments, floors will have to be replaced too it seems and the whole wall gutted. It's been like that for weeks at this stage and it's getting really annoying to not be able to use the shower or wash properly at home.

My questions is is it dangerous to use if I tried? I can point the water away from the hole but it could get splash-back drops. It's not an electric shower and the head is mounted on the wall, able to rotate. I see one wire through the hole, a yellow/green earth one that is heading up towards the shower head area. I'm not sure if anything else electrical would be back there.

If I were you, I'd cover the hole until proper repairs are done.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I was thinking I'd cover it with something temporarily, whatever I can think of and possibly use the shower. If there had been an electrical risk there it surely would have occurred over the months/years that this took to happen since the whole thing is destroyed with water already.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The electrical risk from water ingress is that it'll cause corrosion and shorts, making stuff just stop working. Fire or electric shock risk is less.

If you can find some kind of hard plastic plate to cover it up, that should be sufficient. Cover the hole with the plastic, seal it in place with duct tape - stick the sides first, then the top & bottom - and that should be enough for the short-term.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sound's like a job for a chopping board to me, cheers.

Advertisement