Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove loose spinning screw

Options
  • 25-07-2018 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭

Trying to replace a Yale lock cylinder. One of the screws on the door unit keeps spinning but won’t tighten or loosen. Any ideas how to get it out? Cant get enough purchase to get something under it when I’m unscrewing to help lift it out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

bang it from the other side with a hammer, might move it out a bit for you to grab with a pliers or something

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A trick I've used a few times:

056.JPG

064.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭clsmooth

TheShow wrote: »
    bang it from the other side with a hammer, might move it out a bit for you to grab with a pliers or something

Problem is I can’t get at it from the other side. It’s the size screw on the unit attached to the door as below

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/project_images/changinglockbarrel/rear-of-yale-lock.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Tabnabs wrote: »
    A trick I've used a few times:

056.JPG

064.JPG

Can seem to get any meaningful purchase under the screw head

EDIT: did it! Didn’t try with Stanley knife! You’re a legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭fiacha

A dab of super glue or hot glue can help if you can't get anything under the head. Give it time to set up and best to use a non powered driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Cerco

I assume you are talking about one of the screws holding the cover in place.
    Open the lock so the bolt is drawn fully into the casing. Push down the small button to keep it open.
    Push a big screwdriver or something similar into the mouth of the opening and push it firmly to the right
    Using another screwdriver withdraw the problem screw.

Advertisement