Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Block outer wall vs Timber frame for thickness

Options
  • 25-07-2018 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Google is failing me with this.
    What is a typical thickness of an exterior facing block wall (Finished) and a timber frame exterior wall (Finished)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

seannash wrote: »
    Hi all,
    What is a typical thickness of an exterior facing block wall (Finished) and a timber frame exterior wall (Finished)

Your Engineer will detail this.
    The Timber Frame Company will also have some form of involvement, and Google wont answer those questions thank god.

Google will not sign off on the build.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

kceire wrote: »
    Your Engineer will detail this.
    The Timber Frame Company will also have some form of involvement, and Google wont answer those questions thank god.

Google will not sign off on the build.

Jesus :rolleyes:

I'm asking for standard as I'm working off outlying plans and I'm trying to determine how much room I can cheat by using either.
    I have an architect, an engineer and a conservation consultant for my build but I wouldn't be plaguing them for questions such as this.

But thanks for the help guy, good to know google wont sign off a build.....:rolleyes:

Jesus :rolleyes:

I'm asking for standard as I'm working off outlying plans and I'm trying to determine how much room I can cheat by using either.
    I have an architect, an engineer and a conservation consultant for my build but I wouldn't be plaguing them for questions such as this.

But thanks for the help guy, good to know google wont sign off a build.....:rolleyes:

Why not ask them? Is that not what you are paying them for?
    Seems a bit strange that you won’t ask the guy?

You could also get the type of brick that has been specified and then you can get the certificate for that brink online from the manufacturer.

kceire wrote: »
    Why not ask them? Is that not what you are paying them for?
    Seems a bit strange that you won’t ask the guy?

You could also get the type of brick that has been specified and then you can get the certificate for that brink online from the manufacturer.

Its outlying planning permission, no specifics are given in terms of build spec as I already stated.
    Currently its in the further information stage so that's why I'm not plaguing my architect with questions like this that I thought a forum would answer.

Its outlying planning permission, no specifics are given in terms of build spec as I already stated.
    Currently its in the further information stage so that's why I'm not plaguing my architect with questions like this that I thought a forum would answer.

The forum cannot answer this in my opinion.
    Your planning drawings will need to be given to your engineer to design the structure and prepare construction drawings afterwards.

The planning drawings are merely illustrative to get you through the planning process.

Your BER guy will also have an input in order to ensure it complies with Part L by doing a preliminary BER report before you start building.

• Advertisement

A forum cant give the standard spec of a brick wall....

A forum cant give the standard spec of a brick wall....

What brick are you using?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi all,

My extension timber wall is about ~400mm including service cavity, last block house I did had a 250 cavity so was ~550mm (inner block on flat). With a 150full full cavity you may get this down to ~370

BryanF wrote: »
    My extension timber wall is about ~400mm including service cavity, last block house I did had a 250 cavity so was ~550mm (inner block on flat). With a 150full full cavity you may get this down to ~370
    Thanks Bryan, Thats exactly what I was looking for.
    So if I went with Timber framed (400mm) compared to the block frame (550mm) in the examples you've given I could potentially get an extra nearly foot of space inside the room itself.

I know there can be variables but its good to have this in my head.

So if I went with Timber framed (400mm) compared to the block frame (550mm) in the examples you've given I could potentially get an extra nearly foot of space inside the room itself.

250mm cavity would be quite rare.
    The biggest cavity in my area in Dublin is 150mm at present.

So now that I understand your question better, its badly worded, it sounded like you need to know the what size/thickness wall was required to build, rather than an open ended question.

Normally :

100mm inner leaf
    150mm cavity (fully filled with insulation
    100mm outer leaf

so 350mm in total.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Doesn’t work like that

You tell the planning authority the proposed floor area

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

my new build is block external leaf 100mm, 50mm cavity, 250mm for timber frame, so around the 400mm

Advertisement