Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Krakow

• 25-07-2018 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I'm traveling to Krakow in early September. Looking for advice on planning auschwitz visit. From experience should I book with in a tour group in advance or are you better off just doing it yourself and booking train or bus out to it?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Go down to the Rynek (square) end of Florianska and there are plenty of companies touting for business. You can also book in one of the many Biuro Podrozy who handle bookings for all the various tour companies. They all have the tourist information symbol (blue and white 'i') outside.. It's OK to book the day before. There's no need to book before you leave, unless you particularly want to.

You can do the public transport route (and it IS cheaper), but it's a lot more hassle and personally I don't think it's worth it to save the 30-35 euro a company would charge you to pick you up from your hotel, bring you out and drop you back.

If there are a few of you in your party, many taxi companies will run you out early and get you there before the crowds , or get you to see both Auschwitz/Birkenau and the Wieliczka saltmines in the one day for a reasonable price.
    This is a company I have used many times before: http://www.auschwitz-krakow.com/tours/auschwitz-birkenau-nazi-camp/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I actually would say the opposite. Go to the central train station and get the train to Oswiecem (Auschwitz) and walk up to the camps.. It's a much more meaningful visit if that's what you want. Imho better than following around some bint with an umbrella in the air..

Also wieliczka I would leave to a separate day.. It's not that it's an all day thing but there's more than enough to experience in both vastly different experiences that I don't think the combo does justice...

But that's just me..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

While you're there, go down to Plaszow, where the 'Schindler's List' camp was, it's close to the factory, which is worth seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irishuser2222

I actually would say the opposite. Go to the central train station and get the train to Oswiecem (Auschwitz) and walk up to the camps.. It's a much more meaningful visit if that's what you want. Imho better than following around some bint with an umbrella in the air..

Also wieliczka I would leave to a separate day.. It's not that it's an all day thing but there's more than enough to experience in both vastly different experiences that I don't think the combo does justice...

But that's just me..

Thanks for info. Can this be done on the fly or does anything need to be booked in advance. Just definitely don't want to miss out on it but would like flexibility on visit too. Can you get audio guides instead of actual tour guides if you do it this way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If you do a draft of this forum you will find countless threads in Krakow with lots of advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Patww79 wrote: »
    Does search work on this site now? Because it'll be a first if it does.

https://touch.boards.ie/search?q=Krakow

2800 results !

Thanks for info. Can this be done on the fly or does anything need to be booked in advance. Just definitely don't want to miss out on it but would like flexibility on visit too. Can you get audio guides instead of actual tour guides if you do it this way?

See http://auschwitz.org/en/ for the official information.

Having visited many many times with groups and individually, I would recommend getting out there as early as possible. From 10am on the place is black with visitors, both group and individual.

Train takes between 1 hr 10 minutes and about 1 hr 45 depending on whether you get the slow or fast one, with different prices of course. The train station is about 2km from the Memorial. The museum provides a shuttle bus between Auschwitz I and II (Birkenau/Brzezinka). http://rozklad-pkp.pl/en for info on times. Polish trains (especially the slow ones) are an experience all on their own.

There are a number of bus companies do the trip in about 45 minutes with very frequent trips. The buses drop you at the Memorial.

I used to get a taxi company to take us out in a bus really early so we got at least one site (we usually went to Birkenau/Brzezinka first) with very little crowds. The memorial opens at 7.30am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

your better off to go in a tour group. You still need to go on an guided tour of the site, there is no free acess allowed in the sites. There are tour office in the city everywhere offering pretty much the same thing . Pick you up, drop you at gate, bring you to birkenau (austich 2), the tour groups skip the regular ques outside too.  Then cart you home again afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭fabvinny

we booked it before we went,collected from hotel and dropped back after.i would go with a tour guide,so much better. book birkenau as well,its very close,we had the same tour guide for both camps.

Advertisement